My very first post here ! So glad to be there :D

Hi everyone !
This post to say hello, to thank you for the welcome, and to introduce me a bit…
I’m a new Ubuntu user :slight_smile: 2 weeks ago, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS over Windows (not dual boot, I made the whole switch). Cause my pc is old and I wanted a ligther version, I switched yesterday to Ubuntu Mate 16.10.
Ubuntu is already awesome, but Mate is simply incredible !! What a beautiful desktop, what a perfect system !
Yeah, you got it, since 2 weeks I’m totally hooked on Linux, especially on Ubuntu.

You understand, as a newbie, I’ll have many questions, sometimes very basic… So you’ll see me soon in the “Help” thread :wink: I’ll enjoy to read you all, to read about your experiences, maybe to create new contacts or friends :slight_smile: Pleased to meet you :smiley: Btw… I’m a french speaker, but I enjoy to communicate in english, so maybe I’ll write here and in the french thread as well…

6 Likes

Welcome, fellow French speaker.
Feel free to contribute material to either the French or English sections.
Even constructive criticism about available material is material. :D

1 Like

No question is too small. Plenty of folks here will be glad to help.

1 Like

Thank you both so much :smile:

When I’ll learn enough, it will be my turn to help as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, there’s a lot to digest going to Linux from Windows. Depending on how bold you are, and how many computers you have, you might want to make sure that you have an Alternative method of getting on the internet in case you break your current setup. Either a USB stick that you can boot off of or a 2nd install of Linux on your PC, Say like Standard Ubuntu or Lubuntu.

I broke my setup learning and experimenting around quite often in the beginning.

This is a nice built in utility that will wipe a USB stick and put an iso image on it.
Ubuntu Startup Creator

Also there is UNetbootin.

But personally, I like Multisystem. As it has more options, but it might prove a bit of a challenge to new users.

And last, but not least.

Welcome to Ubuntu MATE. I’ve been using Ubuntu for 10 years now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you are very right, that’s clever… I made a few boot disks, I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a CD and on a USB key (it was my very first Ubuntu, 2 weeks ago). I have another CD for Ubuntu Mate 16.10, the version I got yesterday. And I saved my documents, images, music on another hardrive and in the cloud. It saved my life a couple of times, cause in 2 weeks, I reinstalled Ubuntu 5 times, cause of a mistake I did. I hope to be good for a while now LOL

The first time I tried Ubuntu, 2 weeks ago when I started from Windows, I used Unetbootin. It made things easier cause I crashed my Windows and my pc didn’t see my CD anymore. When I tried to Unetbootin to switch from Ubuntu to Ubuntu Mate, I didn’t find yet how to boot with it… I got the settings, Unetbootin got my iso, but after, I never found how to run it. So I fought like hell to find a CD burner that “accepts” to burn my iso, cause all the other softwares said that my CD was already “mounted”… So you see, omg it was an intensive lesson LOL

Thank you for your friendly welcome RandyNose :slight_smile: I’ll have a look on Multisystem :wink:

1 Like

Welcome, @Suzy and greetings from Finland!

1 Like

Thank you very much Samuvuo :slight_smile: Finland is amazing !

1 Like