Need help with an installer script

ok, glad it's moving along ...

Every time you mod the script, cat nameofscript | nc termbin.com 9999
It will give you a url. If you click on that url and prefix with l. (el dot) it will show line numbers

here's the script with line numbers https://l.termbin.com/n565

That way, whoever helps can 'see' the same line numbers as you do.

I'll definitely start doing that. I didn't know that existed but now that I do I'll definitely be using it going forward.

Or if you have your own github page, you can post the script there as a gist (shows line numbers).
(to create a new gist click on the plus sign on the top right, next to your account)

It died again.

`

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: github.com

`

I'm thinking based on where it died, it did so on line 44, trying to get the pegasus-frontend. Is there a way to tell it to install the local copy and then resume from after that? So that I don't have to reinstall from scratch again?

curl gives me an error (you're being redirected) but wget works.

wget https://github.com/mmatyas/pegasus-frontend/releases/download/continuous/pegasus-frontend_0.15.12_amd64.deb

[Sorry for the delay in response, had to grab my dinner]

OK, the pegasus front end is installed. Is there any way to resume the installer script, say from line #48 by the termbin you posted above? Or do I need to resume from scratch again?

EDIT: Also I changed the tags back to 20-040focal-LTS since we're using that instead of 18.04.

No, I guess you could cut the script in pieces ... step1.sh, step2.sh, etc. so that you need to run only the next script. BTW, I do not see anywhere the function enable_autostart_xwindows being called. I see the definition, nothing more.

Huh. You're right! The whole section is commented out. Odd.

Looking at the first version (posted earlier in the LibreELEC thread) that section doesn't exist. Also I notice towards the end it seems to get a bit ArchLinux centric. I wonder if this was an adaptation of something from ArchLinux. I tried to search for the "Northbane (c) 2020" mentioned at the beginning of the installer but found nothing referring to that name.

What should I uncomment to make that section work as it's supposed to?

How would you encapsulate the script in sections to make it work with the ability to resume?

I confess I'm a bit lost at sea here.

I would spend time regrouping the script to logical steps, step1 (apt installs and wgets), step2 (plymouth, openbox), step3 (sudoers), etc. That takes a lot of time and fully understanding the system.

In the person's logic, he appends commands to files so if you re-run those they will append twice. At some point near the end he sets GNOME TERM SETTINGS= with a profile that has to be different than yours. His note at the very top, it will fubar your OS is very true.

Developer, escalade, https://github.com/escalade/RetroELEC not sure if this could help you.

LibreELEC is a great system and if there were a good way to get Steam, Emulation and Minecraft to work with it, it'd be darn near unstoppable. Unfortunately what seems to happen is there is a split--if you want games you can have everything but Steam (and probably Minecraft). If you want media center capabilities it will work wonderfully.

I gave GamerOS a try a bit back and came away very disappointed. The Steam aspects worked very well but there was no good way to access media. The provided docker image and underlying system has no support for mounting of drives on USB or for networked drives. It was more or less useless unless you planned to stream everything from addons.

Worse, it's impossible to dual boot GamerOS because the developer had to get creative and made some kind of 'seamless' update system that completely broke any attempts to dual boot. The first update you would have would break your entire install if you managed to make it work somehow.

Really, all I want is a system where I turn it on and it loads a choice between media playing and gaming. If you choose media playing, it loads Kodi via LibreELEC. If you choose gaming it loads something like Pegasus Front End and you can select from various games installed including Steam games and Emulated titles. It seems like something of that nature should be simple enough but I'm simply not skilled enough to pull it off.

This script was supposed to be the way to have that cake and to be able to eat it too. The more I beat my head against the wall trying to make it work the less and less confident I am that it CAN work. Hell at this point I'd almost imagine that it'd be simpler to start with Ubuntu-Mate, install minimally and then once the core applications are installed start whittling away at things until only what is truly needed was left. Again though this is above my skill level.

I feel cursed at times because I know just enough to get close and to surprise the truly computer illiterate and not smart enough to be able to do things I know the truly computer literate can do with ease. Worse still for me is locally I don't have anyone around to reach out to for help. For most of the people I know I'm their guy to reach out to....

So yeah, I thank you for your help but I think I'm about ready to give up here. Maybe when the original guy posts again on LibreELEC forums I can see if he can make some sense of things. I have linked the thread to here.