Needing help installing Ubuntu Mate

Hello everyone I’m a newbie here just joined earlier today.Thank you for accepting me
I downloaded the iso for PowerPC Ubuntu Mate and I tried to boot the live cd on my PowerPC G5 2.3ghz 256mb nvidia video card .I got the cd to boot, but all I got was a black screen. so I had a copy of Ubuntu 12.04 PowerPC lying around and it installed with no problems except for sound,which thanks to a post on here got the sound working. 12.04 runs very smooth on my G5 and video playback is better on Ubuntu 12.04 than Mac OS 10.5.8 that was running on my Mac.My question is , running Ubuntu 12.04 on my Mac is 12.04 a little old to be running? I could really use help getting Ubuntu Mate installed.Sorry for the long post

Ubuntu 12.04 will continue to receive maintenance support (though not hardware support) up till mid 2017

http://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

so, I guess it should be okay to continue to use it till then.

you can install the Mate desktop on ubuntu 12.04 by following the relevant instructions on the Mate desktop installation page

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

Make sure to follow the instruction for the section entitled “Ubuntu Legacy Repositories (Precise/Quantal/Raring/Saucy)”

On Ubuntu 12.04,. the latest version of the Mate desktop you would be able to run is Mate 1.6

I think that was my post about the Powermac G5 sound issue - if so, glad it helped.

Have you seen this post about trouble with nvidia cards and 15.10 ? I recently rescued my Powermac G5 from someone. I discovered it was having a hardware problem that was preventing any of the bootup key commands from being accepted (startup disk menu, force CD boot, target disk mode, open firmware access, etc). Turns out it was the video card, which otherwise had no symptoms once OSX booted. It was an ATI Radeon 9600 which I replaced it with a Radeon 9650 I found on ebay for $10 delivered, knowing I wanted to avoid the nvidia cards for the sake of installing ubuntu-mate. If you can’t find a workaround, it may be worth swapping out the video card to an ATI to get away from the problem. I can send you a message with a link to the listing if you are interested - let me know.

Thanks for the info Steve! I 'll probably use 12.04 till its no longer supported.

Sure I’ll give it a try,send me the link if you would please,and thanks for the help from your sound post!!