Network applet missing

I have a new ISP, and have been trying to connect wirelessly. Ethernet works fine. There is no applet in the top bar to select a source. I added a Notification Area, which shows up as 3 little dots; there’s no volume indicator, either.

I’ve tried just about every suggestion to make it visible, and finally reinstalled 17.04. The applet was there and i successfully connected wirelessly. Restarted and no applet, and I’m using Ethernet again, with no way to connect wirelesly. I’m unable to use my printer until I get this problem fixed.

Is there something in my /home folder which could cause this?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I’ve seen nm-applet crash and not respawn, this is kind of problematic.
As a temporary workaround you can open a terminal using CTRL+ALT+T then type:

nm-applet &

And close the terminal.

Edit: I have submitted a bug report about this here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mate-session-manager/+bug/1682053

I tried

nm-applet &

and no luck. I have tried just about every fix I found, and nothing has worked. I’m becoming at wits’ end.

EDIT: There is no nm-applet in the repos. I reinstalled mate-appplets. No luck.

That’s normal, it’s a binary part of package network-manager-gnome

Still no luck. I installed lubuntu-desktop, and it didn’t have a network icon, either. I’m going to try with xubuntu-desktop.

EDIT: Xubuntu-desktop didn’t work, either.

Grrrr.

Do you get an error message when you try to launch from terminal?

Nope, no error messages at all. I wiped the drive and installed 16.04. Still no luck.

Where in /home are desktop settings stored? I’m suspecting something in /home. If I delete the .config/.mate folder (or another one), it might reset and allow wireless connectivity. Or might it not?

Success! Having remembered that fooling around with MATE Tweak resets the panels when you go back to Ubuntu MATE, I got into MATE Tweak and selected Cupertino, then Ubuntu MATE again. The network icon is there now.

Hooray!

[SOLVED]