New Install of Ubuntu Mate 17.04 Software Boutique Not There

I just installed Ubuntu Mate on an old Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. I had previously run Lubuntu. While running slow ( not unexpected) I am satisfied except the Software Boutique will not run. Terminal install of the Boutque fails with a note of no package found. I get messages to check your internet connection ( which is fine). There seems to be a bug which I reported.

Isn’t the software boutique installed by default normally?

[quote=“Eagleshadow, post:1, topic:13138”]Terminal install of the Boutque fails with a note of no package found.[/quote]Are you sure you got the name of the package right? It is not called software-boutique, so trying to install that package will indeed fail.

First, let’s see if it’s installed or not –

dpkg -l | grep -i welcome

If ubuntu-mate-welcome is installed then the Software Boutique is present on your system. Now, as far as why it will not run – going to go out on a limb here and assume it’s because the Dell Inspiron 600m to my knowledge comes with 512Mb of memory. You’re simply not able to run the boutique, is what I’m guessing.

Don’t fret though – the boutique is not really necessary. CLI package managers for the win! You already have apt-get installed by default but if you want, you could go one step further and install aptitude.

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends aptitude

2 Likes

Excellent advice, I’d just like to add that you can also list installed packages using the more user-friendly apt like so:

apt list --installed | grep welcome

Not that it particularly matters. The dpkg -l command does seem to list more info though, I’m just not quite as familiar with it.

Amen! I have done all my package management through the CLI from the first day I switched to Linux. The boutique is a nice for seeing some recommended software, but otherwise quite unnecessary. I tend to use apt over apt-get, but both work so well I haven’t felt the need to install aptitude. It’s really not hard to use a CLI package manager.

2 Likes

[quote=“Mechanizoid, post:4, topic:13138”]I haven’t felt the need to install aptitude[/quote]I just like the raw power and thoroughness of aptitude. There are things it will do that only it can do. Although, I have to note there that even apt-get does complement aptitude at times.

The other day I installed Unity 3D and of course it wouldn’t complete the install (which was a simple dpkg -i of a .deb). apt-get install -f for the win there. Gotta love CLI.

Like what, for instance?

I am also a sole user of apt and it serves me well so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“orschiro, post:6, topic:13138”]Like what, for instance?[/quote]It’s mostly in the details. Such as upgrading where other managers might not upgrade because of dependency issue. I don’t know, been using it as go-to manager ever since I needed it for something specific a few Ubuntu releases ago.

To me, out of all the options, aptitude feels most like the sledgehammer that’ll get the point across to the packages.

1 Like

Thanks.

Welcome appears to be installed but won’t run on this old box. Did run sudo apt-get install --install-recommends aptitude, Is this strictly a command line function. BTW there seems to be a problem in connecting to download server.

tY

You can choose a different server that is closer to you:

[quote=“Eagleshadow, post:8, topic:13138”]Is this strictly a command line function[/quote]As I said in my post, it’s a CLI package manager. CLI stands for Command Line Interface. Although it does come with its own interface, but that is text mode only. I wouldn’t use it.

Just
man aptitude
and have a read.

It’s a good tool. You’ll like it.