New WiFi Drop flake out never before (Past 3 days)

Not sure why this is happening all of a sudden but my wifi just started to flaking out on me. Just randomly it seems it will disconnect and reconnect once every 5 minutes or so.
16.04 since release
no new installs
I tried swapping out wifi dongles ( I have 4 all different makes )
Rebooted Many Times (Some are better then others for connectivity)
Reset router twice
there are 2 other computers on this network (Win7) w/ no problems
did a sudo service network-manager restart
This sucks for streaming
Not sure what to do next?

Hi @Blank,

have you done a full system update?:

Went back thu the guide and didn’t find anything new that I have not done already.
Things seem to be breaking now
i.e. Deluge locks up,
Double Commander closes randomly
A/V apps still loose audio but my system has it.

it just seems to be broken all around.
I’m not 100% sure but I did use Bleach Bit to kill a few things and I think maybe that is when all this may have started to happen. So I went through Synaptic and removed a couple of items (Deluge and VLC) then Reboot reinstall to see if that help but nothing seems to be working.

I am considering a reinstall of MATE but I am not sure if I do that I will still have my home partition with all my data. Could someone tell me if I reinstall MATE will I loose my Home Partition?

If you use the same username as the current installation, your /home is fine. Better if it is on another partition, but should be fine (BACKUP ANYWAY). Just in case :slight_smile:

Bleach Bit can indeed mess things up, especially if you enable experimental features and wipe as much as possible. I believe it does warn you about this, always review prior to removal.

Hi,

try the following terminal commands (Ctrl + Alt + t) and see if that helps, (Using a cable network connection):

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

RESTART IF ANYTHING UPDATES!. :thumbsup:

Unless he has an ethernet connection, downloading broken / missing dependencies on an unstable connection isn’t wise. Mostly because you’ll need to restart those commands again and again so apt finishes off where it started due to his dropped wifi connection.

You are right, I never added “Using a cable network connection”!. :thumbsup:

I will edit my original post thanks. :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah this found nothing to fix or repair

My home dir is on another partition so instead of a shaky connection and going on my 4th day of a broken box. I think I am just going to kill it and reinstall.
Thanks for the help!

Hi @Blank,

if you do a fresh install, this might help you:

I tried a new install “Something else” and kept my home directory but for some crazy reason my audio never worked with the new install but my WiFi seemed to be stable again. But that wasn’t going to work so I just killed everything and started from fresh and so far so good.
My wifi stays connected (6+ hours) and my audio is back.
(Yeah, back to stable again!)

Thanks but I already had a partition table set up since 14.04 when I couldn’t get any distro to work for me at one time until I set up partitions. So I looked around on the net and found this and stuck with it

Hard Drive Partitions
512mb Primary - Ext2 Filesystem - /Boot
30720mb (30Gig) Primary - Ext4 Filesystem - /
8192mb (8Gig) Primary - Swap area
(Make Swap same as amount of RAM if 8 or less only 2or3 Gig for more Ram)
Primary -Ext4 - /home

Thanks for the help

1 Like