No new updates in terminal or software app for 2 weeks

Hello everyone,
I have a few questions about apt package manager. I am on Ubuntu MATE 22.04.1 LTS x86_64. Kernel: 5.15.0-56-generic; Shell: bash 5.1.16 ; Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad;
When I run "sudo apt update" I always see that all packages are up to date, I have also tried "sudo apt full-upgrade" , "sudo apt dist-upgrade", tried checking for updates from software and synaptic apps, but still couldn't find any new updates, it has been 2 weeks since the last time I updated system manually with "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" . After that any time I check for update it says all is up to date, but is it really ? In the folder / etc/apt/apt.conf.d I saw a conf file called 20auto-upgrades and written inside was APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";
Could it be that my system is auto upgrading or is there something broken or missing, I have used a lot of linux distros, but this is the first time I see this problem, all suggestions will be appreciated, thank you

P.S.
I also changed main server mirror from the Software & Updates app.

1 Like

Welcome @MadHatter640 to the community!

1 Like

Thank you, I am happy to participate in the community :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just a thought could you follow image and post screenshot of item 4 on your system. My image shows what I have for my needs as I prefer to update on my schedule and decide what to do based on my data cap internet plan. Not sure what default install sets 4 as and have changed a long time ago.
Thanks. Possibly in 4 it is set to download and install automatically. Just a guess.

5 Likes

Hi Mendy, thank you for your answer, it seems that I or the system itself have configured it to auto-download updates, you are correct in your suggestion, problem solved :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just for info I have set to Never but do check basically every day. Connect via mobile hotspot and for example finish watching YouTube, just press button on hotspot and am disconnected without having to worry about some process (update running in background).

3 Likes