NOT Workspace Switcher 1.17.1 BUT Main Menu

I hope there will be a reduction in the size in the future. Compared to 16.04 they are quite big.

Hi @anon42388993,

can't you change the panel pixel size in 17.04 (I haven't looked btw!):

Nope, you can only make it bigger.

Maybe using Gconf?. :confused:

I think you mean dconf and no, there is nothing under workspace-switcher that helps with size. I think this is handled through the panel setting like you mention above.

Are you sure?:

Yep, Im sure. Your looking at the panel size.

No, I am talking about overall size of the panel!. :smiley:

Which is the same as your first post. I think you need to try this for yourself.

Alright; but it will have to be later, I busy dying of the flu :thermometer_face: here!. :smiley:

1 Like

TBH I would like a change to how the WS works.

Imagine this; All workspaces not actively in use begin as shrunk by width when nothing that isn’t of type Desktop is in use.

The active workspace with anything in it would expand to the width of the display, scaled down (as it does now anyway). Inactive workspaces with windows would only show the number of windows therein, instead of the radar-like display which can be seen when dragging windows about. If a window occupies two workspaces, then the active workspace, as well the workspace adjacent should a window be there will expand too.

When an inactive workspace has a window which demands attention, that workspace expands to show the window in the radar which needs attention. When attention is satisfied and the workspace becomes inactive once again, the display of that workspace will shrink back down. If a window is sticky, have in MATE a means of specifying where the window originally was before it became sticky so all workspaces do not expand at once when a window demands attention.

This kind of setup would allow for system admins to have way more workspaces for stuff they need to deal with, but they can keep those tasks in the background, and as they remain in the background the workspaces with stuff in them not being seen by the user remains as much out-of-the-way as good design allows.

If that functionality could be expanded to the window list (they can share the same size manipulation code), then admins can keep more things running on their system without sacrificing taskbar space. I’m thinking whether or not a window is active, iconify in list unless a window demands attention, then expand button to maximum width specified or maximum width available, as well flash.

HI @anon42388993,

I reduced my icon size to 21 and I can't really see a problem, are you on a large monitor?:

I cannot see any other settings that will change the size?:

Now were getting somewhere :slight_smile: Its my top panel only that will not adjust to anything smaller than #26. I do not run a bottom panel, but reinstalled one to experiment with. The bottom panel will adjust all the way down to #17! Just like it should.

Do me a favor @wolfman and try to adjust your top panel. Again, my top panel will show its adjusted down to #17, but the physical size reduction stops at #26. No setting under #26 will reduce the top panel size.

Thanks wolfman :grin:

2 Likes

Similarly, in 16.04 the top panel doesn’t adjust to reduction under 22 px, whereas the bottom panel decreases, as it should, down to 17 px.

Hi @anon42388993,

the lowest I can go on my mini notebook is 18 on the top panel!:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1660881

Now if someone could confirm this in launchpad.

Hi @anon42388993,

just to confirm for you, on my main PC (23 inch monitor, Nvidia GPU, Ubuntu Mate 16.04); I cannot go below 26 pixels!:

1 Like

Heya @anon42388993. Just started playing in a VM and I see it, too. Removing the menu clears it. I think that’s the “MENU BAR” to be exact. Also added this in launchpad.

2 Likes

Thanks Bill :slight_smile: You have nailed the problem. By changing to a different main menu I can now downsize the panel.

Solved with a work-a-round :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not nailed, just a vector. I hope it saves someone who really fixes it some valuable time. :slight_smile: Here’s another one…

It’s theme dependent. BlackMate goes further down to 22. This points to something a theme selects like the icon or font sizes.

2 Likes