Notification area applet needs work

I’m configuring Ubuntu MATE for a friend and he only wants one panel. He of course needs a wifi indicator in the panel but the only way to do that seems to be by adding the whole notification area applet which takes up a ton of space and has lots of indicators he’d never use. I’m really surprised something in Linux has no customization at all. I don’t see a way to remove any icons or reduce the space between them.

Of course, being able to add those indicators separate of the whole panel would be better.

2 Likes

He of course needs a wifi indicator in the panel but the only way to do that seems to be by adding the whole notification area indicator applet which takes up a ton of space and has lots of indicators he’d never use. I’m really surprised something in Linux has no customization at all. I don’t see a way to remove any icons or reduce the space between them.

Quoted for truth: takes up a ton of space and has lots of indicators he’d never use. I’m really surprised something in Linux has no customization at all. I don’t see a way to remove any icons or reduce the space between them.

3 Likes

Can you just disable the notifications you don’t want by going Control Center -> Startup Applications and un-checking the ones you don’t want?

18.06 puts them back in startup programs with the next login.