Office suite query, please?

"The operation of Libreoffice really suited him best, but it had severe problems involving how his many older files were being shared with his assistant - and LO would freeze, lock files, etc. - which was a daily hassle for a while that had me helping him remotely when his work got messed up."

Were the old files MS Office files? Was the assistant using LO too?

BTW, I was unable to edit the title here...sigh.

As with most small businesses since the internet came around - they make use of all sorts of file types - DOC, DOCX, RTF, PDF, WPD - whatever may come around as an attachment, etc..
Their main type is now DOCX due to external pressures, of course.

Yes - they WERE both using LO, and now (mostly) Collabora - which, as I said - seems to have solved the problems.

I fixed that for you computerguy. Next time please use the tool located at the bottom of the appropriate post (represented by three dots) to select a Solution tag. I assumed that you meant Collabora to be your solution. I inserted links to the company in your post for others to use when looking for a similar solution.

Edited to include a specific icon to use in tagging a post as a solution.

1 Like

Thanks MDooley !!
I looked for any way to do that - and found no such thing - just looked after reading your reply again - same deal...colour me baffled ??

At the bottom of every post, you should see a heart shaped icon (click on it to 'like' a post), a link icon (click on it to share a link a post), a 3 dots icon (which one should use to do a variety of things one of which is to tag the post as a solution) and a curved arrow icon labeled reply which is commonly used to reply to specific posts.

Does that help?

1 Like

"As with most small businesses since the internet came around - they make use of all sorts of file types - DOC, DOCX, RTF, PDF, WPD - whatever may come around as an attachment, etc..
Their main type is now DOCX due to external pressures, of course.

Yes - they WERE both using LO, and now (mostly) Collabora"

I'm just a little confused here. Because Collabora is built from LibreOffice, and so (theoretically) a lot of file 'issues' in LO would end up in Colla too. (?)

Also, as a former Mac user of 29 consecutive years I learned the most important thing you can do (in this situation) is attach yourself to truly popular software. Or you'll have to convert a ton of stuff to PDFs just to open them later.

Collabora doesn't have much of a pulse on YouTube. That means if it folds the solution you found (might) go with it. It would make me nervous for that reason.

Now of course LO doesn't have the online collab thing -- but if you don't need that I'd avoid this solution.

@DaltWisney:
The key word in what I've shared is 'installed' !!
There is ZERO dependency upon any of their online features in use, so:
If Collabora fails, what is installed will remain.

Yes, it is built on LO, but claims to do better at sharing files - which my friend's experiences seem to validate...strongly.

And:
He & his assistant are U/M users, so mac methodologies are quite irrelevant to that.

The main question was to find what would work well for his little place - and that goal has been realized - so:
With any good fortune whatever, before any other craziness may come along, he will be retired and so will I !!!

1 Like

" With any good fortune whatever, before any other craziness may come along, he will be retired and so will I !!!

LOL. Fair enough.

1 Like