Old user - same old issues

OK it is interesting actually. I confirm the reported issue but I also confirm it works! :sweat_smile:

Here are my tests and outcomes. I used Ubuntu MATE-20.04.2. In all cases, I booted up and confirmed no internet connectivity. 'Enable WiFi' is missing from the drop-down list. 'Ethernet Network' is greyed out saying disconnected.

a) Go to menu, choose 'Additional Drivers'. It shows broadcom driver. Hit 'Apply Changes'.
b) We get wifi availability notification. Connect and enable internet.
c) Start installer, tick "Install third-party software...." checkbox, proceed with installation.
d) Reboot once completed.

Result: No WiFi connection on installed system. Just as @Deke55 mentioned.

a) Do NOT install broadcom driver before hand from 'Additional Drivers'.
b) Start installer without internet, tick "Install third-party software...." checkbox, proceed with installation.
c) Reboot once completed.

Result: WiFi connection is available on the installed system.
P.S.: In this case, after we tick 'install third-party software...' and move to next slides we get notification WiFi available!

a) Go to menu, choose 'Additional Drivers'. It shows broadcom. Hit 'Apply Changes'.
b) We get wifi availability notification. Do NOT connect to internet.
c) Start installer, tick "Install third-party software...." checkbox, next (or previous) slide it says WiFi network available and asks us if we want to connect or continue without connecting. Do not connect and proceed with installation.
d) Reboot once completed.

Result: No WiFi connection on installed system.

a) Choose 'Install Ubuntu MATE' on grub menu instead of 'Try Ubuntu MATE'.
b) Start installer (there will be no internet as confirmed from indicator icon), tick "Install third-party software...." checkbox, proceed with installation.
c) Reboot once completed.

Result: WiFi connection is available on the installed system.

So,

1. If we install broadcom (or probably other proprietary) drivers beforehand and start the installer, the drivers will not be carried over to installed system and hence no wifi. It does not matter if we actually connect to internet or not.
  2. If we start installer and choose to install drivers with it, it makes sure the drivers are available on the installed system.

In each cases, during installation, we can click on triangle icon above progress-bar and see that in cases where it failed, the broadcom driver 'bcmwl...' is not being installed but it is being installed in cases where it succeeded.

Also, when broadcom driver is installed/enabled it creates a 'bcmwl...' folder under /usr/src. In cases 1 and 3, it is created in live session but fails to copy it over to installation directory (/target/usr/src) but in cases 2 and 4, bcmwl folder was created on installation directory (/target/usr/src) and hence available once booted. See image below.

For your case @Deke55, please try installing using 'Install Ubuntu MATE' option and confirm my finding. Once you confirm we can file a bug for the other case (if there is not one already).

2 Likes

I can confirm your test cases. I have tried them all and results are as you have described.
WiFi is only available if we ignore Additional Drivers option and opt for third party software on one of the install steps and wait until the installer completes.

Thanks for your time with this.
It brings back memories of my days with Ultimate Edition Linux and reminds me of the in depth steps I used to take myself as a tester. I have forgotten this discipline or I would have done exactly as you have.
Although, I think the installer has changed slightly because I have always chose to install the third party stuff and the network has never been available till recently/now once the install has finished.
Anyway, we are one step closer to a perfect install.
I believe there should be two download options available from Ubuntu regarding all versions.
Version one a simple one that has only basic options like language and keyboard with all other tasks being automatic, like video, hardware and partitioning. I strongly believe partition options serve to confuse the newbie. There should only be a straightforward dual boot option or a complete erase and install.
The second download version can contain all options for more experienced users.
If we want to attract more users the install has to be simple and virtually automatic AND bug free.

Thank you for the confirmation @Deke55. I have raised bug report. Refer https://pad.lv/1923477. Please click on 'This bug affects me' to increase the 'heat' of the bug.

Just to add, I tested with LinuxMint 20.1 as well. Same issue. However in LM, on the installed system, you don't necessarily have to use ethernet or USB tethering. 'Device Manager' as they call it in LM offers 'connect to internet or insert installation DVD (USB stick)' option and once we plug-in the drive, it shows broadcom driver and offers to install it. I'm not sure if I saw such prompt in UM under 'Additional Drivers'.

P.S.: LM 20.1 seems to have a bug where although it shows driver upon inserting live-usb, it fails to install with some 'pk-client-error-quark' msg. But I know the offline driver install used to work on LM.

1 Like

Thanks saivinob I remember LM having the same issue with this driver and I always used Ethernet and additional drivers menu option to fix it.
UM doesn't have offline option for driver search but shouldn't need it if the big gets fixed. Then all options for WiFi install should just work.