Packages are kept back for unknown reasons while upgrading

I'm using Ubuntu MATE 14.10. I've updated the system and seeing this message in terminal window while upgrading:

The following packages have been kept back:
ubuntu-mate-desktop

I've tried apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade. But his message keeps coming while upgrading the system. It's not resolved yet. What to do?

To be honest, I have not run into this…It may correct itself after next update. Wish I had a better answer.

Try running this command with the “-f” (force) on the end:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

There are a mulitude of reasons that error comes up, the most common are some of the dependencies of the package can’t be met (aren’t yet in the repos), or installing the package will break dependencies for some other already installed package. One should never use the ‘-f’ (–force) switch unless they know what they are doing and why, it could easily break your system otherwise.

The ‘ubuntu-mate-desktop’ is a meta-package, a hook to pull in other packages generally required for a normal desktop experience. It is not necessary once the install is finished, but is used in updates to pull any new apps or tools added since the last version of the desktop.

When this message appears for any package, the best course to take is trying to install it explicitly, in this case by running ‘sudo apt-get install ubuntu-mate-desktop’ in a terminal. Apt-get will show what the error is, the reason(s) it’s not installing it. With that information you can decide what you want to do: make changes to your existing install to allow it to install the package, force the install and hope for the best (not recommended), or just ignore the error.

1 Like

I use the "-f" command and never ever have a problem!.

Try changing your download location for your repositories, the normal default should be "Main", if you are having trouble, select a different location.

Control Center > System > Software Updater > Settings > Ubuntu Software > Download from > Other > Select best server:

1 Like