Pepperflashplugin-nonfree not working in chromium

In 16.04 I have installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree and Chromium. But, Chromium is telling me to install flash whenever I try to run a flash video in, for example, the BBC news website.

Is this happening to anyone else and, if so, anyone know of a fix?

I fixed it with this:

Download Google Chrome deb from the Chrome website and extract libpepflashplayer.so from /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash in the Chrome deb file. Then copy libpepflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins.

Then, make the necessary changes to the Chromium startup by:

sudo pluma /etc/chromium-browser/default

Add this to the CHROMIUM_FLAGS

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="–ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=version-number-goes-here"

However, NOTE:

You should change the version of flash in the above CHROMIUM_FLAGS line (version-number-goes-here) to the correct number by looking in the mainfest.json from /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash in the Chrome deb file. In mine, for example, it was 21.0.0.213

From this point, Chromium will work with Flash

Hi @stevecook172001,

install the following package which might be an alternative to the route you took:

sudo apt-get install browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash

PPAPI-host NPAPI-plugin adapter for pepperflash

The main goal of the project is to get PPAPI (Chrome) plugins working in Firefox (and any other web-browser supporting NPAPI plugins).
It implements a wrapper which behaves like browser to PPAPI plugin and implements NPAPI plugin interface for browser to use.

This particular implementation doesn't implement any sandboxing, which means any malicious code can break through plugin security as there are no additional barriers. This is the same level of security as NPAPI Flash have.

Flash plugin for Linux provided by adobe stopped at version 11.2; for chrome/chromium users there is pepperflash plugin but it's not supported by firefox/iceweasel/other browsers.

This package allows one to use the Pepper Flash plugin from Chrome in NPAPI web browsers.

1 Like

I’ve used fresh player before and it was not using hardware acceleration and so resulted in a lot of tearing Wolfman. Though, that was some months ago. has is been improved since then?

I have it installed on 16.04 Steve and have not noticed any problems with it thus far!. :smiley:

1 Like

Fair enough Wolfman. It’s been some time since I last used it.

1 Like