Persistent ImageMagick (color depth=q16)

Try the following command in a terminal.

lsb_release -a

Highlight the results and use ctrl-shift-c to copy . Paste into a new pluma file to check and post back here. Otherwise, a screenshot would be just fine.

Also see -

You're running Focal Fossa. I added a tag to the title of this post to ID your OS.

So what did I learn from all this?

1. ImageMagik has a bug going back almost a decade that sometimes causes certain setups of Ubuntu to ignore the Preferred Applications settings in Mate;
  2. That Caja has a bug that sometimes does not show hidden files even when set to, the bug surviving reboots;
  3. That Mate doesn't have an obvious 'Help' at the GUI level that would tell me what it's revision level is.

Not bad for one bug.

At the end of this topic, I must warn you that Preferred Applications has rarely ever worked for me to set anything. Far better to use Properties, Open With as I remarked in post #2 above, then check Pref. App. to see how it looks. Glad that you no longer have to look at Image Magick's splash page.

Really? Mate has a bug that prevents setting other Preferred Apps sometimes? Strange. So far, the PDF pointer is the only one I've run into that couldn't be changed. I'll keep a look out for others. Just hope I can remember what fixed it.

It wasn't a matter of a problem of looking at the splash screen, it was a matter of productivity suffering due to a slow down every time I'd quickly click on a document as I was collating only to find it wouldn't open. Then have to back up and choose Atril.

You used the term "bug", I did not. I do a lot of things that tend to mess with how operating systems work. Because I've been doing this for more than a few years, I don't think that my inability to set preferred applications with MATE's app is any big deal.

I usually know what to do to correct this app as well as a few others. Look at post #8 where I misspelled Atril as Arril in the screenshot. The typo was a result of fixing something too fast. How embarrassing...

Glad your productivity is back on track.