Pi2 Dev and x2go

I was wondering if there are plans to get the x2go server running on the Pi2.

This would make my day as it would simplify my setup at home, I use x2go a lot and the only system I can’t access this way is the Pi2 making me use VNC which is substandard compared to x2go.

Is anyone else waiting for this … I’m sure I’m not the only one.

1 Like

I’ll speak with the X2Go team amd see if this is possible. Certainly making their PPA armhf compatible is trivial bit I don’t know if X2Go builds on ARM.

Thanks, I don’t mind doing some of the work if it’s needed …

I was hoping to replace xrdp with x2go on the Pi today, I forgot about the PPA not being armhf compatible. :frowning:

@Wimpy, did you manage to get a responce from the team?

Funnily enough, there are some official packages for Raspbian:
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:repositories:start

This seems to be Client only on the Pi2.
“The client applications of X2Go have been officially packaged for Debian 7.0 (wheezy) or later. Raspbian has therefore included them.”

Hello. Any news on geting x2go on Raspi 2/3. Thanks!

While not in the repo, Dodger Tools made a build (http://dodger-tools.sourceforge.net/cms/index.php?id=100000604) for Pi 2/3 that works reasonably well.

[edit]

I just surfed over to X2Go’s wiki page and now the PPA supports Pi 2/3 for Server and latest versions of the client. Kudos to the X2Go team.

It’s very much doable- and been done. You just need to start building it as a part of the packaging or get them to make the armhf builds for Debian/Ubuntu as part of their repository build. Initial start of the session is slow, but on a 2 it’s very usable (and cleaner than VNC) and on a 3…it’s fluid. If you use Dodger Tools’ build…it’s the preferred means for remoting in.

[edit]

I just surfed over to X2Go’s wiki page and now the PPA supports Pi 2/3 for Server and latest versions of the client. Kudos to the X2Go team. I’ll be checking that out shortly as that’s even more preferred than the prior workaround- it tracks the X2Go team’s development efforts.

1 Like