Plank annoyances in 18.04 builds

Hi,

I wanto to migrate from 16.04 unity to Mate 18.04. I am using the mate default Plank dock, through Pantheon interface, however I noticed an annoying bug with app icons locked in dock although they shouldn’t. Examples:

1. Every time I configure the top panel, after I close the panel config window, the panel icon remains in dock and there’s nothing I can do to remove it, besides login/logout
  2. Same things for tray applications, e.g. I installed psensor which has a tray icon, if I minimize the psensor to tray it doesn’t dissapear from dock.

Are there any solutions to this or is a plank inherent issue? I was thinking if there is a config where I can specify what applications should plank completely ignore and don’t add them to dock. Is it possible?

Thank you and great work with UM!

1 Like

I’ve always had this problem when using Plank with MATE, I’ve never been able to find a workaround

Uh this sucks. I wonder if it makes sense to do a bug report on Plank project or Ubuntu Mate project?

This is a Plank issue, happens everywhere.

Try Docky, but in my experience Docky has more bugs if you try using the dock’s applets/plugins.

Maybe Cairo dock is another option, but I don’t like Cairo, some people prefer but it’s not for me.

Tx, will try and make a bug report at Plank. I tried Cairo but I don’t like it, it brings along too many modifications. I quickly removed it.

Yeah, post a bug, it goes away if you reboot I think, but it’s annoying:

This might help?:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/download-install-configure-plank-dock-ubuntu/ :smiley:

Looks like it’s already in there: https://bugs.launchpad.net/plank/+bug/1733078

Thanks for the launchpad link! I added a comment in there regarding 18.04 and a proposed solution.

Thanks…I just added it affects me

Just my two cents I have run into a few bugs already reported but just decided to show only the apps I have pinned. I don't use it as a task bar but only as a launcher of my usual apps so I don't show anything other then those and avoid all the visual bugs..

This does not solves the problem, but if you like Unity interface - i would advise to use mutiny layout with manually updated dock plugin.