Playing video files from RasPi Nas

Hello, I’m new here so firstly a big hello to everyone.

I recently set up a raspberry pi NAS. I’m very happy with it but I can’t play video files on vlc from it on my laptop which is running Ubuntu Mate. Annoyingly they run fine from my Windows machine. I also set the pi up with mini dlna, and this runs fine in conjunction with my xbox one which is essentially my home entertainment system.

I really have no idea why vlc won’t play the files, but I’m determined to fix it. I’ve only just started using U.Mate but so far everything has been fine.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Just to add I’m a pretty basic user and I’m only just starting to use Linux. I know some basic terminal commands but that’s about it.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sam

Hello, welcome to the community!

Depending on the protocol you’re using, your desktop will require some additional packages that will allow VLC (and other programs) to play videos from the network share.

A similar thread asked about playing videos from network shares, and the solution is to install a couple of additional packages on your desktop:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse vlc-plugin-samba
  • gvfs-fuse - Allows VLC to access a network share.
  • vlc-plugin-samba - Allows VLC to access a Samba (“Windows”) share.

Good news is that this will be fixed in the next version (15.10) :slight_smile:

Thank you guys. Thus is the sort of easy fix I was hoping for. I’ll try it out tomorrow and let you know if it works.

Video is now perfect. Thanks @lah7

1 Like