Please add "Turn off mouse acceleration" button to mouse settings

I love Ubuntu mate and i want to use it, but this is deal breaker for me and probably for many other gamers that want to use Ubuntu mate for gaming. Please add button to mouse settings that turns ALL mouse acceleration COMPLETELY OFF, not just little down FULLY OFF. Its so frustrating to use computer with mouse acceleration when you are used it to be COMPLETELY OFF.

Thanks!

there is a solution here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1734400

1 Like

@Jarppi I kind of agree with you on this, I find mouse acceleration really bad, U-M would benefit from having an option to turn it off completely.

Thank you @stevecook172001 for the link to a fix.

Its not solution, its workaround, there should be button that COMPLETELY disables mouse acceleration, this is just unacceptable that you have to go modify files just to remove mouse acceleration.

You have asked for a solution that is built into Ubuntu Mate in any future edition. That’s fair enough. In the meantime, you have been offered a self-initiated solution that will require you to do a little bit of work. But, it appears, you don’t actually want that. Instead, you appear to just want to come on here and have a whine and a moan about the fact this feature is not already built in Ubuntu Mate. Which is your prerogative, of course. However, that being the case, it would have helped if you had made it completely clear at the start this is all you wanted to do, since it would have saved me wasting my time on you.

1 Like

Not just Mate, but no such option in Ubuntu or Debian that I can find. @Jarppi; have you found a linux distro that has this option built in? I fallback to Arch Linux when I can’t find it in Ubuntu, but only finding the same fixes there.

This is not a problem of Ubuntu MATE, mouse accelation is turned on in X. with xinput you change the settings of X for the running session. A button could be created, but it has to be developed. In the mean time you you could use one of the following options:

Turn of acceleration using xinput or create a config file that turns the mouse acceleration off at boot:

Create the following config file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

and add the following content:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "My Mouse"
    MatchIsPointer "yes"
    Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
    Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
    Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
EndSection

This will disable mouse acceleration when X starts.

Just have a look on the Arch Linux wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration

You could create a bash file and run it whenever you want Mouse acceleration turned off:

#!/bin/bash
#wait for the desktop to settle
sleep 5
# turn off mouse acceleration
xinput set-prop 14 273 -1

PS. Please keep the discussion civilized. We all have our preferences and we all want the best.

3 Likes