Poll: Removing Pidgin and Hexchat from default install

Please don’t remove hexchat. Pidgin I dont care about.

1 Like

So Pidgin is removed from the default install of 16.10 and is now listed in the Software Boutique. Hexchat remains because it is useful for users to access support via the IRC channel.

4 Likes

Is it possible to include Hexchat in the Software Boutique for those who want to easily and safely remove it? In fact, I wish that this is possible for all default applications. This would allow maximum flexibility in how to configure the system.

2 Likes

If you want to slim it down further: Thunderbird also supports IRC (though unfortunately most people don’t know about that particular feature).

1 Like

Yes, that’ll happen in 16.10.

4 Likes

Firefox, too with the Chatzilla plugin so Thunderbird can be removed and Firefox, at least the default profile can be reconfigured, a ChatZilla package can be installed, or the support channel should go to irc://irc.freenode.net/#ubuntu-mate with KiwiIRC set as default handler for IRC addresses, since Freenode blocks Mibbit.

I’m pretty much in the “keep Thunderbird” camp - I only mentioned that it doubles as an IRC client, but it’s main purpose is of course e-mail (and web-based main really isn’t everyone’s cup of tea).