Possibility to tear electrically out the Bios chip

Hello everybody,

I’m new of this community.

I’d like to know if is it possible boot the Raspberry PI3 from the SD card and load the Ubuntu Mate O.S. on an external usb hard disk.

The question could be seem easy, but i’m interested to do this experiment:

once I’ve loaded the Ubuntu Mate O.S. I want to tear out from its socket the SD containing the boot procedure and leave the raspberry working only with the O.S.

Please, has some of you just done this test ?

That is, is it possible tear out from its case the SD card after the boot process, when the Raspberry is working and the Ubuntu Mate O.S. has taken into account the whole control of the Raspy ?

Tips are welcome. Thanks very much in advance !

I hope to hear you soon.

Best Regards.

Vincenzo.

Hi Vicenzo,
This is, in principle, possible.
In practice, I’ve not managed it - the getting everything onto a usb stick/disk is well documented, but you seem to not be able to boot entirely without the SD Card.
I hope somebody knows the final details, and posts them

Thanks very much for your reply.
In fact, the aim of my experiment is to boot from the SD Card and then load the Ubuntu Mate from the USB/disk.
Please, can you tell me where i can search in the forums ?
Thanks in advance.

Vincenzo.

There are a couple of possibilities.
One is to load the USB stick/disk in similar way to loading the SD card from the downloaded image.
Alternatively you could copy the root partition content from SD card to USB stick/disk.
In either case you’d want to get the cmdline.txt in the boot partition to set the correct place to load the root fs.
I don’t remember which I did, but I did follow the blog on raspberrypi.org dealing with how to set up raspbian to boot from the usb device.
HTH
derek