Possible grammar error

In the Help Screen for Control Panel>Power Management Preferences I think there is a grammatical error under the title Session and system idle times:

Session and system idle times
mate-screensaver is a session daemon that monitors user input, and if the mouse has not been moved, or the keyboard been pressed then it starts a timeout.

I am pretty sure they want to say “or the keyboard has not been pressed”
Or you can change the “or” to “nor” and remove “been”.

4 Likes

As a grammatical pedant, I approve of this topic. :slight_smile:

I would think it should be something like:

mate-screensaver is a session daemon that monitors user input; and if neither the mouse has been moved, nor have any keys been pressed on the keyboard, then it starts a timeout.

But even better than that:

mate-screensaver is a session daemon that monitors user input. If no keys on the keyboard have been pressed and the mouse has not been moved, then it will start a timeout.

IMHO, "nor" requires a prior "neither" in the construct. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ieh

It is not just YHO You are absolutely correct that is the grammatical rule. I knew there was something wrong in my wording, but I was in a hurry. Shame, shame.

And I prefer your second wording. They are two separate subjects, with the second being an outcome of the first's programming rules/logic.. Plus, as you state, it is not pressing the keyboard, rather a key on the keyboard.

I just desired that it convey the proper lack of action, to cause the effect. :slight_smile: Reading it late last night confused me. Had to read it three times to see what was missing.

Cheers

1 Like