Possible memory leak in mate-panel?

Reproduced in Fedora 24 with MATE 1.14.1
Reported upstream @ https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/479

1 Like

I have the same problem on Debian 8 with mate desktop. mate-panel eats tons of memory and cpu till crash my pc.

So for those of you that havenā€™t followed the conversation on github: it turns out the leak came from GTK+, not mate-panel directly. The code has been patched upstream to mitigate this issue but the changes have yet to reach the LTS, they must first undergo the SRU process.

1 Like

And Iā€™m going to try and progress that SRU process.

3 Likes

Alright.

Thanks to @Wimpy, @tsimonq2 and the guy who developed the GTK patches, I had the pleasure to see this in the updates today:

This issue is now fixed in Xenial \o/

5 Likes

:smiley: \o/

Thanks for the ping. :wink:

4 Likes

I had memory leak problems using Ubuntu Mate 18.04.1 after installing it yesterday. What worked for me is stopping firejail and firetools and the memory leak stopped. So, if youā€™re using firejail, then it might be the cause of memory leaks. I think this is a problem with the Bionic Beaver rather than firejail. I find firejail to be a great piece of software but it causes a lot of problems with 18.04.1.

Hi, do any of these tools display an icon in the notification tray? How did you determine it was a memory leak?

I noticed using psensor; I used psensorā€™s ability to warn me when memory falls after a certain low threshold. However, after using Bionic Beaver after a couple of hours without Firejail, it seems that it is not a problem with the OS, but with Firejail needing more than 8gb of RAM, which is the amount I have. I thought that it is a problem with the Bionic Beaver after reading about a lot of people having problems with memory leaks after installing the 18.04 version. Bionic Beaver works great with 8 gb of RAM; if someone has memory leaks with Bionic Beaver, I recommend:

1. Upgrading the hardware to a minimum of 8 gb of RAM
  2. Not using Firejail beyond 16gb of RAM

Not only Ubuntu 18.04, but also web browsers need a lot of RAM these days, so upgrading the RAM seems necessary to me.

I wrote this in case someone else has the same problem. So, I hope this helps.

Cheers.