Possible to upgrade my system?

A few weeks ago, I got a message from the updater that a new version was available.

I deferred it to later, because I was in the middle of something.

Now, when I try to update it manually, nothing happens.\

Is my computer able to upgrade??

System description

Ubuntu:

Release 21.10 (impish indri)

Kernel Linux 5.13.0-43-generic x86_64

Mate 1.26.0

Hardware:

Memory: 3.5 GiB

Processor: AMD C-70 APU with Radeon(tm ) HD Graphics x2

Graphics: AMD PALM (DRM 2.50.0 / LLVM 12.0.1)

System Status : Available disk space = 229.1 GB

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Kevin Ireton

You can try running, update-manager -c in the terminal and it will launch the software updater, this time with a prompt to upgrade to 22.04.
If that doesn't work, try sudo do-release-upgrade.
If any of these don't work, i'd do a fresh install. Back up your data before doing that.

Thanks, I was reading the description on the C-70 chip. It has a clock speed of 1 Ghz.

The documents for 22.04 say a 2 Ghz chip is required.

So, even if there is a workaround, the performance would probably not be satisfactory.

If I ever get time, I will see if Mint is a better option for my system.

Thank you for your response, kevin

If you try mint, make sure to go for the xfce or mate editions.

Other distros you can try is opensuse tumbleweed with mate or solus with mate. They are both incredibly fast. Other good options include manjaro and fedora.

Now that I think about it, my browser speed has been slow since the past two upgrades.

I attributed it to poor internet service, but have recently acquired super fast internet, and still have an unsatisfactory experience.

I like the MATE environment.

If you have experience with the OS flavors you mentioned, which would be the best choice for a quick (er) browser response??

I mainly do email, calendar, bill pay. An occasional document ir shopping. Once in a blue moon, some 0 A.D..

I do have 3 novels in my head that I need to get on paper, but I have other computers I could use for that. I just really like my Aspire One, even though it is showing its age.

Again, I greatly appreciate your time and advice.

Thank you, Kevin Ireton

1 Like

Opensuse is faster than any of the other distros for a web browsing experience. No distro i have tested comes close to it except for solus. When you're installing opensuse, choose generic desktop instead of gnome, kde or xfce, assuming you are connected to the internet. When you're about to install, change your software selection, and select the mate desktop enviroment. Make sure to enable online repositories during the install.