Problem installing ubuntu-mate-desktop from local mirror

I’ve been setup to do network installs from local repo. mirror & working well for months. The mirror updates nightly. Sometime after 07-28-2017 the installs using this local mirror fail. The problem is with package selection:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgles1-mesa : depends: libglapi-mesa (= 12.0.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) but 17.0.7-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 is to be installed

How-the-heck do I fix this problem??

I believe this will help. The giveaway is this libgles1-mesa package which caused “Partial Update” messages in Software Updater. It seems it is to be removed but something is definitely broken.

But your situation differs a bit. I did test removing libgles1-mesa and it did not complain or remove anything else so this may be worth a try. Once removed, Software Updater no longer had that message.

1 Like

Did you find a solution to this? I’m in the same boat, I updated our local mirror and now we can’t deploy any more workstations. I’m hoping there is something I can put in the preseed to skip that package.

I guess this is a good reason to use something like Aptly in the future.

Hello.

Yes. I did find a work-around. The trick is to keep the installer from seeing the xenial-updates repository. If you’re serving the repo from apache, you can simply change permissions on the xenial-updates directory to 700 & then the installer will install from the xenial repo.

And this may be crazy… But for the installer repo. I made a skeleton tree with softlinks to the real xenial repo except xenial-updates which i made a directory, with perms set to 750.

This allows for installing with a masked xenial-updates. Once installed, the /etc/apt/sources list references the original repo. which sees the unmasked 755 xenial-update directory.
So after installation you can do apt update/apt upgrade & pull packages from xenial-upates.

.:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug  4 07:49 mirror
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   25 Aug  4 07:47 skel -> ../apt-mirror-xenial/skel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   24 Aug  4 07:47 var -> ../apt-mirror-xenial/var

./mirror:
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   52 Aug  4 07:48 apt.dockerproject.org -> ../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/apt.dockerproject.org
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   48 Aug  4 07:49 ppa.launchpad.net -> ../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/ppa.launchpad.net
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug  4 07:49 us.archive.ubuntu.com

./mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug  4 07:50 ubuntu

./mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu:
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug  4 07:52 dists
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   70 Aug  4 07:50 pool -> ../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool

./mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists:
total 20
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   81 Aug  4 07:51 xenial -> ../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   91 Aug  4 07:51 xenial-backports -> ../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-backports
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   90 Aug  4 07:52 xenial-proposed -> ../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-proposed
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   90 Aug  4 07:52 xenial-security -> ../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security
drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 Aug  4 07:54 xenial-updates

./mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates:
total 36
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 110 Aug  4 07:54 Contents-amd64.gz -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/Contents-amd64.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 109 Aug  4 07:54 Contents-i386.gz -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/Contents-i386.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 102 Aug  4 07:54 InRelease -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/InRelease
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  97 Aug  4 07:54 main -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/main
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 103 Aug  4 07:54 multiverse -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/multiverse
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 100 Aug  4 07:54 Release -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/Release
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 104 Aug  4 07:54 Release.gpg -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/Release.gpg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 103 Aug  4 07:54 restricted -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/restricted
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 101 Aug  4 07:54 universe -> ../../../../../../apt-mirror-xenial/mirror/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/universe
william@dobie:~$

Setting the permissions to 700 on the xenial-updates directory worked for me, thanks!

We’re getting ready to deploy Ubuntu MATE to about 750 laptops on the 15th, so I was getting a bit nervous. We install the MATE packages in our preseed environment via PXE, so I did have a fallback plan of removing the entries from the preseed file and pushing out the MATE packages via Puppet, but I really wasn’t looking forward to making that kind of modification for production, in 7 days.