Problem with panels when using multiple monitors

Hello MATE Community!

I’m a long time MATE user and just wanted to share with you the reason why I’m not able to use it on my work computer, though I would love to.

Mainly I use my work laptop with an external display. When I need to go to a meeting, I just unplug the monitor and go.
This is when the panel from the external monitor just gets dropped on my laptop display as an additional panel above my regular panel. That way I have duplicate panels and even when I reattach the external monitor, it just stays on the primary as a duplicate.
This is most unfortunate.

Couldn’t it be like Cinnamon’s way of handling this?
In Cinnamon, when you unplug the external monitor, the main laptop screen remains as it was, all the windows from the external just get moved to the primary. When you reattach the external monitor, the panel there just gets reinstated and you can carry on as usual.

Could that be implemented to MATE somehow?

Thank you for reading this and I hope this can be fixed somehow.
Wish you all a great day!

What version of Ubuntu mate do you use?

The one that comes with the 16.04.3 LTS image. Everything updated.
I can’t check the exact version right now, but I’ll check it later if the info above is not enough.

I can confirm this issue on 16.04, though it took me a while to manage to create a panel on the extra monitor.
@doktorszike could you please file a bug report against mate-panel about this on the bug tracker?

Thank you, I just did:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1714211