Problem with Ubuntu MATE and my processor

Ok, I shall try to keep this as brief as I can:
-About a week ago I installed Ubuntu MATE (If I’m not mistaken the PC Intel x86 version is what I downloaded).

-Right about now several applications that I want(ed) to install are not working from problems such as: Matlab not being able to find the virtual machine, Eclipse Mars x64 had some nonsensical error about not being able to find and the install file… etc, with the help of the internet I found that both these errors seem to come from trying to install an app made for 64x bit on a 32x bit machine. And, indeed, once I tried the 32 bit version of eclipse it worked in a jiffy.

My processor is and INTEL I3-4005U/BGA (not sure what the BGA part is all about) and with a summary look at the specifications over at Intel’s website it seems that indeed this processor uses the 64x bits instruction set.

So… ahm… yeah, have I done something horribly wrong ? Is Intel lying to me ? Do I simply not understand the whole 32 vs 64 bits/ the 32 bits instruction set vs the 64 bits instruction set ? Might there be a problem with the version of UbuntuMATE I installed ?

I’m lost and I shall try to provide you guys with any information that I can if you could at least shed some light on this issue.

Hi,

you might have a damaged install for whatever reason, try running the following 2 terminal commands and then restart:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

followed by

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

The first command may not be necessary but run it anyway for that just in case scenario. :smiley:

See also:

I tried running the command, some things installed but I got the following error:

W: Failed to fetch http://ro.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/vivid/InRelease Unable to find expected entry ‘main/binary-amd86/Packages’ in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch htt//ro.archive. ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/vivid-updates/InRelease Unable to find expected entry ‘main/binary-amd86/Packages’ in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch htt//ro.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/vivid-backports/InRelease Unable to find expected entry ‘main/binary-amd86/Packages’ in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/vivid-security/InRelease Unable to find expected entry ‘main/binary-amd86/Packages’ in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I restarted my system but it seems that 64 bit apps still got a problem with my laptop ;/

Looks like your sources are in need of repair. Please post the output of…

cat -n /etc/apt/sources.list && ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list

See also: