Reboot problems with newest update June 29, 2016

Just ran an update, and restarted from the Software Updater. Computer failed to reboot, and would not reboot after several attempts. I was able to boot into Ubuntu Mate 16.04 which I have as dual boot, for this kind of thing. there I was able to do two things. One change the graphics drivers back to the Nvidia Drivers, and also to properly shut down the computer. I’m not sure which of those solved the problem, but if anyone else runs into the same thing, you can try this.

I have had this problem before when updating/upgrading, which is why I now have two versions of UbuntuMATE ready to go on the same computer. Just FYI anyone with similar hardware may want to be prepared with a similar method.

Nvidia 980 Ti graphics card
AMD motherboard
Optoma projector monitor

2 Likes

Replaced to Tips & Tricks as it isn’t really a tutorial :wink:

Thanks for moving my post Gerald. I think I accidentally marked it for
tutorial, but it was more of an FYI for anyone. It’s always good to know
someone is checking up on the info out on the site. It definitely makes
answers easier to find.

Ok, the newest I’ve been able to find on this… It’s got something to do with not performing a complete shut down. I attempted to suspend my computer and it did the same thing. ‘No Support’ shows on the monitor and can’t get the computer to boot.

Here’s where it gets weird, I found out that if I unplug the Logitech wireless dongle for my keyboard and mouse, then it will reboot. It takes a little bit longer to boot the first time it boots back up, but it goes back to normal. I have no idea why it works, and no idea why I thought of trying it, but … there you go.

My only guess is that Bios is still set to look to boot from USB and for some reason thinks that it can boot from the Logitech USB dongle and gets stuck there. It only does this when I try to reboot, or suspend from Ubuntu. It does fine if I shut down and boot again manually.

Any way just FYI in case anyone else is having this problem. Again, thanks to Gerald. I trust he and his team will put this info where it will be the most useful.