Recent graphic updates - Kodi crashing

Hello folks,

Everything was running well after the latest minor graphics updates on Ubuntu 18.04.2, Kodi (installed from Ubuntu's package) stopped loading any video.

#3 0x00007f47676c60aa in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
#4 0x00007f47676c5dd7 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so

It can't find radeonsi_dri.so and crashes the window

I don't wanna use Kodi 18, I prefer Krypton.
If I install the oibaf ppa with latest drivers, Kodi works but I don't wanna use it as well.

If I disable VDPAU in Settings/Player and leave only VAAPI enabled, it works.
But I'd like to fix this VDPAU bug.

I think there are conflicting libraries running on my system after the updates, and a simple command can do the job.

Anyone could please help me?

Thanks in advance.

What do you have in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri?
Also, what was this recent "graphic update": updated packages from the Ubuntu repos or did you add/remove a PPA at some point?
If radeonsi_dri.so is actually missing, my assumption would be that your installation of Mesa is broken. This would explain why using Oibaf's PPA fixes it, if it puts missing libs back in place.

BTW, in the current state (with Kodi broken), can you play videos with VLC or similar or do you get the same issue?

The following files are inside /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:

i915_dri.so, i965_dri.so, i965_drv_video.so, kms_swrast_dri.so, nouveau_dri.so, nouveau_drv_video.so, nouveau_vieux_dri.so, r200_dri.so, r300_dri.so, r600_dri.so, r600_drv_video.so, radeon_dri.so, radeonsi_dri.so, radeonsi_drv_video.so, swrast_dri.so, virtio_gpu_dri.so, vmwgfx_dri.so

So there's actually no missing radeon_dri.so
Steam has always been having a similar issue with the disappearance of radeon_dri.so, and people have found ways to solve it.

Last week I decided to apply the automatic updates from Ubuntu repos, they were small size updates of VDPAU, X.Org, etc. I can't tell you exactely what it was, because there isn't really an easy way to verify that. I only installed Kodi v17.6 from the ppa:kodi-stable/old, the same issue.

I've wiped out everything and installed a new Ubuntu from scratch. I didn't run any automatic updates on this first run and just sudo apt install kodi and its required packages. It still won't load. I tried from LiveCDs with different Ubuntu 18 .isos and different Kernels, nothing.

I've downgraded mesa-vdpau-drivers without success.
I figured that Kodi plays a very simple .webm video, but not high-def codecs.

The problem happens only with Kodi, VLC and SMP plays everything without issues.

If I install Kodi 18.3 from the official ppa, it loads. But that's a whole different new player.

It's a problem with the 17.6 authorized by Ubuntu repos, and I've found 2 more users with the same issue.

This version is important as a main use in my HTPC.

I really appreciate your assistance terzag.

Solution found:

This bug is caused after an update for the latest version of libdrm-amdgpu1

Changelog
Version: 2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1 2019-07-03 15:07:54 UTC

libdrm (2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1) bionic; urgency=medium

• Backport to bionic for 18.04.3 HWE stack update. (LP: #1824111)

-- Timo Aaltonen Wed, 10 Apr 2019 13:54:06 +0300

Download the previous version from
https://mirror.transip.net/ubuntu/ubuntu/pool/main/libd/libdrm/

Install libdrm-amdgpu1_2.4.95-1~18.04.1_amd64.deb

and Kodi will return.

Bug reports here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdrm/+bug/1837170

and here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kodi/+bug/1836828

For those with this problem, please join us and hope they fix it for the next PointRelease.

libdrm-amdgpu1_2.4.95-1~18.04.1_amd64.deb is only 17,4Kb

Do you the ability to open it and find what went wrong terzag?

Thanks for the updates and the bug report links.

Glad you got it working.

I would be quite unable to figure what's wrong in a library. :wink:

Though, on Ubuntu MATE 19.04 and an AMD GPU, I don't seem to have playback issues with Kodi 17.6 when VDPAU is enabled in the settings.

Yeah, the dev told me he hasn't seeing anything wrong with disco dingo. Still, my personal taste goes for LTS editions. Could also be a bug with a pack of hardware models.

No problems mate! :joy:

Different problem situation:

I first applied the downgrade of libdrm-amdgpu1 2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1 to 2.4.95-1ubuntu1~18.04.1, on the first launch of a newly installed Ubuntu 18.04.2 without any of the 400 updates packages available.
This way I got package Kodi working.

Now, after I update everything to the latest version, with libdrm-amdgpu1 as well, I can no longer downgrade it. If you force it, the system will crash.

I've figured that the removal of mesa-vdpau-drivers (which also removes vdpau-driver-all) gets kodi running normally again, even with VDPAU activated on settings/player.

So for the moment, that's the new solution for kodi's bug:

sudo apt remove mesa-vdpau-drivers
sudo apt-mark hold mesa-vdpau-drivers

Please follow the dev workaround at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdrm/+bug/1837170

A better workaround is to downgrade these packages

libgl1-mesa-dri_18.2.8-0ubuntu0~18.10.2_amd64.deb
mesa-vdpau-drivers_18.2.8-0ubuntu0~18.10.2_amd64.deb

Get them from
https://mirrors.d-l.fr/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mesa/

These are versions packed with the PointRelease 18.04.2 and are just as good as the latest.

Because uninstalling mesa-vdpau-drivers considerably changes the picture quality of Kodi, disabling hw acceleration.

Let's wait for a fix in the next Ubuntu updates.