Recommend lightweight web browser

Firefox. The browser market isnt a place where a niche product can survive.

2 Likes

I agree, decided to just stick with firefox till something else comes along. Just wish that they wouldn’t keep adding things into the web browsers and making them so “full featured”. Sometimes someone just need a browser not a browser/chat/video/email/etc. program.

What about something built on (or stripped out of) Mozilla?

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

1 Like

I didnt know SeaMonkey was still around, been awhile sense i have looked at that. The Firefox Light looks interesting too. Ill have to check these out. Thank you!

I had the same issue as you recently. Tried Midori, but it was not Robust enough and was crashing on me. Firefox is a little too heavy for my liking, but I ended up settling on Pale Moon. It’s a fork of Firefox, but with an emphasis on being lightweight and it has the best Start Menu that I’ve seem. It’s definitely worth a view at least.

Also an extremely lightweight browser would be Dillo if no other options work for you.

+1 for PaleMoon …

Opera browser?:

2 Likes

That’s a shame. I confess I had only tried it about 2-3 years ago, and it used to crash quite a bit then. I sort of hoped that over time and with the attention it’s received from the Elementary project that it would be in a better state!

That looks interesting, going to give us a review :smiley:

I’ve been extremely impressed with Opera. If light weight, but functional, are you’re requirements give Opera a try. It’s why I’ve included it in the Software Boutique for 16.04 :slight_smile:

You should try ubuntu touch web browser. It’s available on the desktop too. The package is called webbrowser-app and you can get it from default repo. It’s pretty light weight from what I can tell.

Not a lot to review - it is Firefox with all the old processor legacy code pulled out, none of the newest Firefox bloat included, and the ‘old’ Firefox interface. So it’s faster and lighter.

But there’s a (small) price: manual install via a gui script; some extensions no longer work, so need some PM-specific ones in their place, and occasional glitches on sites which code for the various anomalies in Firefox version-on-version which PM doesn’t have.

http://www.palemoon.org/ Linux version: http://linux.palemoon.org/

Seamonkey has, historically, been just that: but after their 2.40 release (yesterday), in tandem with Firefoxes new 45.0.1, things have apparently reversed.

I have been a die-hard Seamonkey devotee - for years - so this is a shock!

Give Firefox another look! :joy:

I’ve been using Pale Moon for two years now, since Mozilla introduced their Australis interface.
It was the last straw, after all what they’ve done to the once fantastic browser.

First of all, PM doesn’t spy on you, all that code has been removed.

To me, the most important AddOn’s do work without any problems: Clean Links 2.7, NoScript 2.9.0.5, uBlockOrigin 1.6.4.
Can’t tell you anything about Java and Flash, because I don’t use them within PM.

If one experiences problems with a website because it’s sniffing at the user.agent string, PM provides a pretty nice way to pretend it’s another browser. Just add an entry to “about:config” and you’re done:

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0"); user_pref("general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0");

That means that PM looks like the current ESR version of Firefox to all websites, except for Mozilla AddOn’s site. You can continue/enhance that, btw.

Fresh out of the box Pale Moon may look pretty old fashioned, but it’s just its clothes. I personally use the Maxi4-Theme from their site (unfortunately can’t paste a screenshot yet).

I’m still on PM 25.8.1, the latest version is 26.2. It’s got a new engine - Goanna - and of course there are some hiccups. The team is working hard on getting over these “children diseases” and I’ll upgrade to it next month when I give UM a try :wink:

If you need further info on Pale Moon, just let me know and I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

@Wimpy: PM has definitely deserved to get included into one of the top distros :wink:

Nice review, makes PM sound very tempting. Nice to find out these things without having to load and run, thanks.

I do run FF ESR, just fits the LTS profile I think :slight_smile:

Does Palemoon have an apt repository?

Unfortunately not. At least no official repo’s.
There are repo’s available for Manjaro, PC Linux OS and Puppy Linux, but these are developed and maintained by the respective distro.

Maybe you’d like to talk to Trava90, he’s the Linux guy within their support and development team. He’s a nice guy you can talk to.
For whatever it may be good, here’s the link to their forum site: Pale Moon for Linux Forum

I would love to give you a helping hand on building a repo, but I’m a bloody Linux beginner (still on Linux Mint since three months; I’m going to drop it for several serious reasons next month).

For those of you who are interested in giving PM a try: Even without a repo the installation is pretty straightforward, no big deal. But it’s still no repo. :cry:

@Metomorphis, it just must have been a fluke; here is the real Seamonkey today. But look at that new Firefox! :wink:

Well i descided to give opera a try, been a long while sense i used it. I found that it uses allot less resources and I have not been having the slowing down problem when leaving browser up all day. I will continue this week to run it under my normal usage and see if it still meets my needs. So far though it is working great! Thank you everyone for the comments and recomendations.

5 Likes

Opera is a good browser, but to address your issue with RAM consumption I find that especially in Facebook your RAM won’t be released over time, if you keep a site like Yahoo, or anything for that matter set up as Homepage, and when your RAM usage climbs too high click “Home” and then “Back” after it loads, your RAM will be released.
I have Opera, Chromium, and Firefox, in addition to Chrome. I’ll use one of the others for another FB account I might be running simultaneously but I us Chrome and Chromium the most because they have the best Bookmarking setup of all the browsers…
If RAM isn’t an issue using the technique I mentioned then you have no real need to use a lighter browser

I hope this helps with your core issue