Reconsider thunderbird

According to the bugtracker, the Evolution iCloud bug is now fixed in the repo edition. Expect an update in the package evolution-data-server -
3.36.5-0ubuntu1

I’ve not tested it, having swapped already to the flatpak.

2 Likes

I feel it's not a matter of taste. It's a matter of privacy, ease of use, support, availability, and life-span and in the case of @MR-KEYS, it's a matter of the 'wares being accessibility friendly.
I believe there is much more accessibility support for Tbird than most any other email client, it has been around longer than most any other email clients, and is supported by a much wider fandom.

As @chartonjeremiah said, "that there's a case for both to be available by default."

~s~

1 Like

I gave evolution with ubuntu mate 20.04 a try and think it's better then thunderbird.

I only recomment thunderbird for people who use a dual boot with windows or who aren't really sure if they want change back to Windows.

1 Like

I use Mint with the Mate desktop on a 2005 desktop and use Thunderbird. I use Ubuntu Mate on an old Mac Mini. Evolution is OK, but as been stated, I installed Thunderbird. My only problem with TB is the importation of Contacts. I have Mailspring email installed and it imports Contacts immediately. Also, I use the Cupertino desktop, and often the Menu Circle disappears. Having to select a different desktop and then reselect Cupertino is time wasted, but it is worth it for the look and function so similar to MacOS.

I also use Outlook with my @live email address. I create a desktop shortcut from the Chrome browser and it works great. For some reason, Outlook never recognized my HP printer even though it is listed under Printers in Control Center. When I discovered the HP app from the Welcome screen, I can now print from any browser. Thunderbird and Mailspring doesn't have that problem -- they just print perfectly.

1 Like

Oh no... please use Seamonkey, ALL IN ONE
more space on hard disk. But I note less speed performance with GTK3!

Well, I've using Thunderbird since 2013 I believe, since 2017 I've started using Evolution for its calendar/task manager who is -I think- way more easier. I've never got the one from Thunderbird working, and lately Evolution seems to be working fine as a mail manager, so I think I'll completely switch over to Evolution. Still, I'll miss using the Firefox theme.

1 Like

Now there's a oxymoron of sorts. Gmail worried about "un-secure" stuff. Is Google afraid of the un-secure competition? Fortunately, I am prevented from having Gmail since Google won't allow me my first Gmail account. I say 'fortunately' because there were times I was tempted, and Google reminded me I can't. Whew!

Long live Thunderbird. Long live E-mail and block gMail.
~i~

1 Like

Gmail is the biggest spy in the world. Yet if you have a Android phone, you have to have an account. I am to "frugal" to go with Apple, and they are the second biggest spy in the world anyway. Hoping an open source cell phone system is ready for prime time soon.

There are a number of open source phones available. Oddly some of them require that you purchase a used Pixel 4A et al. made by Google. Several OS are available - GrapheneOS and CalyxOS to name a few. The new OS is loaded and the phones are DeGoogled. It's still Android but the App stores are replaced with f-droid and Aurora stores. Some are sold on eBay already set up with the new firmware installed or you can easily do it yourself. The Privacy,Security and OSINT podcast has just released episode 232 "Anonymous phones part 1" with part 2 and 3 to follow. Here is the link
https://www.inteltechniques.com/podcast.html
I should also mention UBports and Lineage.

1 Like

Thanks, but way over my skills. I need the carrier to offer the phone.

I am back using Ubuntu Mate after thoroughly testing other Ubuntu flavours. Still on 20.04 LTS because it's critical for my work, but keeping an eye on the development and I like what I see.

However, what was a key point for me to come back was the fact that Evolution now is integrated with the panel clock / calendar in Mate.

I use my machine for my daily work and when I get a phone call and the topic comes to my availability, a quick click on the panel is all it takes to see my upcoming appointments, and I can give the caller a response without having to switch my application.

Such an integration is a big advantage and something Thunderbird has never been able to deliver.

Plus, being able to create a new task while on the phone and the Evolution calendar opens up and I can directly enter it there, where it belongs.

Also, Evolution seamlessly syncs with my ownCloud server for contacts and calendars. Was also a pain in the ass with Thunderbird, and not working without plugins (at least for contacts it was a pain).

The perfect Outlook data import too. Also a pain with Thunderbird. In Evolution it just works. Easy to migrate from Win to Linux with such a tool, as many use Outlook and don't want to lose their stuff.

I am more than happy the Mate team chose Evolution as default, and I am even more happy about the calendar integration. The lack of such an integration was the reason I had stopped using Mate before 20.04 got released, and tried KDE and Gnome. However, both had also their disadvantages. For KDE the fact that KMail clearly loses against Evolution in terms of stability and ease of use.

And Gnome, well, it's Gnome. I cherished many things in Gnome, but in the end, when it comes down to productivity, nothing beats Mate-like desktops. XFCE is quite close to Mate, but lacking the calendar integration too. So the logical choice was coming back to using Mate. And I am so glad I did.

And those who want to use Thunderbird, well, it's easily being installed. And since there is no desktop integration anyway, it does not hurt at all to have it as an additional application. But I can clearly recommend anyone to at least try using Evolution. One of the really great Gnome applications. Stable, easy to use and just works. And, surprisingly, still has a true menu bar :grinning:

So from my side a huge thank you to this step the devs did take :heart:. The best Mate ever.

5 Likes

I prefer Evolution, too - mainly because of its built-in cardav support for contacts. The only drawback is that the standard Ubuntu repo apparently is stuck with the old 3.36 build. If you want to use the recent version you have to switch to flatpak. I guess that brings some limitations to desktop integration. I still have to try if the 3.40 flatpaks build supports the Google calendar better than the 3.36

@jymm Thanks for the reply.
My favourite is the Librem line of phones and laptops. Even the hardware can't be stalked. They too have their own OS called Pure/OS (Purism) The O/S is well supported as are their hardware. Thunderbird works just fine on PureOS.

I was never convicted, so I don't have a cell, but empathize with those that do. I have been lurking on their Purism site their fast and efficient support from experts working there, clears up all sorts of, usually user issues. They are a mirror image of the folk here.

To your other point, I believe that Facebook is the second most invasive peep out there with Microsoft Windows 11 taking the lead at one step ahead of FB.

I have installed ThunderBird and it works just fine on Pure, and I think it's installed in Ubuntu. (it's been a while since I could use any O/S other than Win 7.

Ubuntu still can't be beat for reliability and as for support, this (ubuntu-mate.community) and Pure OS is where I think the best support is.

Foss reported that the Librem 5 "will" support Ubuntu.
FOSS states

"When Librem 5 will be publicly available to the customers in January 2019, it’ll ship with PureOS and GNOME by default. In case the users would wish to move to Ubuntu Touch, they’d be able to do so easily. As a result, the three choices will be:

• Librem 5 with PureOS
  • Librem 5 with PureOS (KDE Plasma Mobile)
  • Librem 5 with Ubuntu Touch

So, now, you should be able to use Tbird with Ubuntu on a non-trackable device like their Librem 5 phone.

Summary: I'd like to see Ubuntu as easy to use out of the box as Windows use to be but I fear Ubuntu folk might start using things like 'upgrade to the pro version', but that's how things go on the Internet.

I remind my friends that stalkers may only stalk the device, not the device user IF the user leaves the phone in their cell/home/car/ :slight_smile: and I say "user" because even though people buy their cell, they don't own it, it's leashed to the buyer - I mean leased to the buyer.

~i~

3 Likes

You will probably love the Pine Phone
Very privacy minded, GPL software, open hardware,
includes killswitches for LTE/GNSS, WiFi, Microphone, Speaker, Cameras
Preinstalled OS: Manjaro (Linux)

1 Like

How anyone can think apple have the slightest interest in privacy is beyond apprehension. They know everything you do from where you are and what you do with your device. They just want to restrict their spying to themselves.

3 Likes

I am often asked if I have a "cell", and I tell them " I was never convicted, so I do not have a cell."

But if I did, I'd leave it at home. Nothing is so important that it can't wait a few hours. Humans made it this far - why fix it with "being connected" which leads me to tell this:
I was in line at a restaurant with a friend. This restaurant often hires teens 15
and up as a greeter. This young 15 - 16 year girl all glee and perky asked me for my "cell number for COVID tracking purposes". I told her my usual line to that and she explained "What? You don't have a cell phone"? I said nope and in a huffy pompous icy tone said "Well - just how do you stay connected?" She did a military-style about face, looked over her shoulder and said "Well - follow me." and led us to a table, and promptly left as if we had the 'mark' upon our foreheads.

Weep for the children - there is no hope. :slight_smile:

~i~

6 Likes

Except I keep Evolution, sure it basically sucks unless you are a total Microsoft fanboi, but it does one thing better than TB -- handle multiple gmail accounts -- I have several that are used by IOT class devices to push status messages to my our phones via my provider's Email to MMS gateway. So I'll use it every couple of months to clear out the spam, delete sent messages, etc.

Preferences (and habits) vary from person to person. So ... if I try to be simplistic here and suggest a possibly universal solution, couldn't there be a sequence of multiple-choice questions at the start of an install offering for each browser, email client, office package, chat, messenger, etc, a checkbox list of the most-commonly used packages, showing the default checked and allowing users to change that option at install-time. The defaults would be on the ISO, but the others would all be accessible via web during the install.

Wouldn't that work?

As an more complex extension to that, could the ISO downloader, offer those same multiple choice questions and permit the users to download both the initial ISO, folder with the "missing packages", and a script that the user could run on their desktop to merge the two to create an ISO that is not dependant on the internet, in the same manner as the original ISO.

Would that be too much ? Given that it would be of common benefit to most distros of common origin (i.e. Debian, or Arch, or RedHad), couldn't such a tool and interaction logic be taken on upstream by those distros for common downstream benefit ? Just a thought.

1 Like