Remote Desktop to Raspberry PI 3 - Some keys fail

Thanks for the assistance in getting xrdp to working with my Raspberry PI 3 environment. I performed a fresh install using exactly what you have (minus the dropped PI and Defects on PI). It works flawlessly.

You may not be able to get it to work correctly with Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry Pi, but I’ll be curious of the results if you try. If you try and succeed, Please post the results back here so that I can accept the answer for the Ubuntu Mate community.

After you have tried, you can consider contributing back to the Ubuntu-Mate community by filing a bug report.

If you file a bug report and place the link, I’ll track the bug report with a confirmation of the bug. If I file a bug report I’ll post a link here for you to track, if you like.

Thanks for all the expert help!

Note:
By the way, it wasn’t necessary to modify the /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh file, or install the mate.desktop. That was what I had to do to make xrdp work on a regular Ubuntu desktop pc.

– L. James

Nope, It works for me great. It’s pretty useful. So u got your l and enter key to work using the things I gave u. EDIT: Also I have had Ubuntu Mate for a long time im switching to parrot Linux. But I’m still on the forum forever and ever.

Yes. All the glitches that I was having with Ubuntu-mate are gone. I was also having problems with Youtube buffering and this site didn’t work.

I’m just starting out with the Raspberry PI. I gave 4 to some of my nieces and nephews for Christmas. I install Ubuntu Mate on all of them. I had also purchased two for me for studying in order to give support for any issues they might have and to help them to use it.

One of my Nieces if 5 years old. I was trying to make Startfall.com work for her.

Will you post the output of:

$ uname -a

Thanks!

– L. James

It gives me this.

Linux UbuntuYMate 4.4.38-v7+ #938 SMP Thu Dec 15 15:22:21 GMT 2016 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

I think I might stay with Ubuntu Mate. I just discovered it has the Ubuntu shop.

Thanks for the information.

Your Installation:
Linux UbuntuYMate 4.4.38-v7+ #938 SMP Thu Dec 15 15:22:21 GMT 2016 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

My Installation:
Linux raspserver 4.9.73-v7+ #1072 SMP Sun Dec 31 19:37:41 GMT 2017 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

This may be explaining why I was having problems. I downloaded and installed a number of images and may have installed, which I was performing from an automated script because I was making multiple sd cards for the 4 PI’s. I may have confused the images. I’m going to perform a fresh install and see if I get the same uname -a that you get, as well as the better performance.

Thanks for helping me to compare the differences. So far the first system specs that you gave me works (which is the Raspian). Now these new specs might work equally flawless.

Over the years, I have always noticed that almost all issues are a result of some very simple oversight.

– L. James

Same. If u have any issues I would love to help time to start a new forum.

Also checkout my channel. Doing alot of raspberry pi stuff. Adafruit gaming and more.

Thanks, Commandery11. The issue of this thread is resolved. I reinstalled Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry PI and immediately installed xrdp. It worked flawlessly before I fully personalized the environment.

The culprit turns out to be my favorite docket, Cairo-dock. So the problem isn’t related to Ubuntu Mate. I’ll have to work with the developer of Cairo-dock to see what they are doing with the keys, and how to disable whatever is interfering with the keys of xrdp.

There are other issues with Ubuntu Mate for the PI, of which I’ll try to resolve and appreciate your help, such as how to make http://starfall.com work. It works in the Raspian OS, but not the Ubuntu-mate. I won’t morph this thread into a different subject but will look for any other ongoing threads from others and participate in those threads, or start a new one if I can’t find one.

I’ll provide you with a link so that you may help with the issue, and of course help the others who are reporting the issue, if there’s already a thread on the problem.

Also, thanks for sharing with me the other forums that you are participating in. I’ll check them out and contribute where I can.

You’ve done an amazingly diligent job in analyzing the helping to fix this issue. It’s much appreciated.

– L. James

Ok send a link and ill be there :slight_smile:

There’s no easy solution, it’s a Qt bug.

I suggest you just wait until Qt fixes it (can’t remember the bug number right now but you can google it).
In the meantime, use VNC and see whether that works (sadly, not all “flavors” of VNC work).

The hard way is to monkey around with various system settings including keyboard mapping. Some reported success (including with VNC versions such as Tiger VNC) but got it to work only briefly, once, and I could never duplicate this success.

It worked flawlessly before I fully personalized the environment.

Exactly. Something breaks it if/when it does work.

This is not Ubuntu or MATE specific.

@randomdude Thanks for the input. Sorry that I had neglected to mark the issue as resolved. It was resolved with the post #29 in this thread. Cairo-Dock was using those keys as keyboard shortcuts. I reassigned the keys to something different.