Restoring Panel Icons

Dollars-to-donuts this question has been asked (many times) before, but either my lack of proper terminology or how some things work in the MATE UI has me scratching my head.

ON a whim, I thought I'd change the color scheme of my desktop. In doing so, I changed the theme/panel/settings -- and lost all the icons on the upper right (in my theme) of my desktop's panel (I have one above and one below). Previously, I had icons for notifications, Albert, Variety, a weather display, networking, etc. Now they're all gone!

What I have in that region is my VMware Workstation icon, showing me what VMs are running, and a separator (three dots, currently). I have unlocked the separator and moved it toward the center of the display, hoping that perhaps the icons were hidden off screen, but no go. I've tried resetting the panel, I've tried re-adding the items back (but they don't show in the panel's items list) and can't figure where they went. The apps that put them there now don't seem to have that option in their preferences, so presently I'm left looking at a pretty empty section of the panel where I used to glance to get useful information (time, temperature, etc.).

What do I do now?

Well, it appears I answered my own question. Posting this just in case someone else comes along with the same issue: I logged out and then logged back in again. Voila!

Over the years I have found logging out and back in and then rebooting if that doesn't work as the best first steps in troubleshooting. Glad you solved your problem.

1 Like