Rosegarden not working on 15.04 on acer aspire laptop

As per title: Was working on 14.04 LTS on this laptop. Just installed 15.04 and it’s not working. Or, rather, it opens and then immediately crashes every time. No idea why.

Hi Steve,

open Synaptic and search for "rosegarden", right click the package and look at suggested and recommended packages, it might help?:

For suggested packages there was one package and I installed it. No difference, still crashing. For recommended packages, there are at least twenty or thirty packages, none of which have any obvious connection to Rosegarden (Chrome browser, for example). So, no further forwards. For me, until I find a fix, this is a deal breaker in 15.04 as I do a lot with Rosegarden.

Qsynth not working properly either. It doesn’t open half the time and, when it does, half of the time it’s active status is not being registered by jack.

This is not an issue with the laptop and these programs per se since I have been running them on it with Ubuntu mate 14.04 for several weeks without any problems.

Not good.

I enabled real time processing and have also tried running it from a terminal. Still crashing irrespective.

The errors I get from a terminal are the following (I should note, it crashes as soon as any part of the interface is selected with the mouse):

QSpiAccessible::accessibleEvent not handled: “6” obj: QMenu(0xb8485258, name = “edit”) “edit”
JackEngine::XRun: client = rosegarden was not finished, state = Triggered
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
Cannot write socket fd = 11 err = Connection reset by peer
CheckRes error
Could not write notification
ClientNotify fails name = rosegarden notification = 3 val1 = 0 val2 = 0
Cannot write socket fd = 11 err = Broken pipe
CheckRes error
Could not write notification
ClientNotify fails name = rosegarden notification = 3 val1 = 0 val2 = 0
Unknown error…
Aborted (core dumped)
stephen@stephen-Aspire-5335:~$ terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘Jack::JackTemporaryException’
what():

The trouble with taking out the desktop meta-package is that, although it does not actually remove the desktop, it means that all future upgrades are buggered and wont work. So, it all starts to reach a level of messy I do not need or want to deal with. I will be reinstalling 14.04 tonight on the laptop. Also, I will now not be upgrading from14.04 to 15.04 on my main desktop machine either as I was intending to set that up to run my midi devices as well. Or, at least, not until this issue is apriori fixed.

I don’t actually know how to report a bug. will need to check that out

Is Rosegarden a Qt application by any chance?

Yes, according to Wikipedia: “a free software digital audio workstation program developed for Linux with ALSA and Qt4.”

just reinstalled 14.04 and works out of the box again

Just to clarify; It wasn’t just Rosegarden that was acting up on 15.04. QJackCTL and Qsynth weren’t right either. QJackCTL was not recognising Qsynth and so it was not possible to connect Qsynth, via QJackCTL, to the system speakers when open. Also, Qsynth refused to open at all around half the time in any event. None of the above problems are present in 14.04.

The ubuntu-mate-desktop is a meta-package. It is just a collection of packages (suggested and recommended) that make it simpler to install ubuntu MATE. Removing it will not remove the desktop, just the mate-package.

Notwithstanding that I was given to understand that 15.04 would not be bundled as a meta package like 14.04, I am aware that removing it will not remove the desktop. However, if I understand the following excerpts from the Ubuntu site correctly, removing a meta package will cause problems in terms of any subsequent upgrades to one’s system.

See below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MetaPackages

This article firstly, like yourself, makes mention of the fact that the removal of a meta package does not take down the desktop:

A metapackage, such as ubuntu-minimal or ubuntu-desktop can have a long list of dependencies. So, when a metapackage is automatically removed by the removal or purging of any one, or more, of its underlying dependencies, all of the other packages that were in the metapackage’s depends list are still installed on the system…

However, it then subsequently goes on to mention that the removal of such a package will have consequences in terms of upgrading of one’s system:

If at a later time, there is an upgrade to the metapackage, the upgrade cannot occur, because the metapackage to be upgraded is no longer installed on the system. However when upgrading to new versions of Ubuntu the update-manager will check to see if you have the meta package installed before attempting to do an upgrade.

It may be possible to create a replacement metapackage to enable an upgrade, but some packages may then need to be removed or purged upon the upgrade of the metapackage. A metapackage which defines some Conflict or Replacement dependencies might be able to stop some of the unwanted packages from being reinstalled. Some trickery is needed.

In other words, it sounds very messy and so (again, if I have read and understood the article correctly) it is not correct to imply, as I think you have done, that the removal of a meta package is an unproblematic and inconsequential procedure,

Once, again, I should say, I am quite happy to accept I may have read that article incorrectly. In which case, I would appreciate being shown where.

I have just re-read Martin’s question about Rosegarden being a QT application and have been having a think about the other two programs that were acting up on 15.04. They were Qjackctl and Qsynth. Both of them are also QT applications. So, maybe this is an issue between Ubuntu Mate 15.04 and QTapplications?

The trouble is, these three programs are the best that the Linux world has offer in term of music production, music synthesis and device management, at least for the kind of tasks I need them for, and the alternatives are simply inferior, either generally or in some key aspect. Thus, it is not tenable for me to do without these programs if I want to continue to perform the tasks I currently do. I dare say my choice of music applications is not unusual and so this is not an insignificant issue. I don’t actually know if it is Ubuntu Mate 15.04 specific or more generally related to Ubuntu 15.04.

@stevecook172001 This seems to fix it. Open a terminal and execute:

unset QT_ACCESSIBILITY

Then execute roasegarden from the same shell.

rosegarden

Let me know if works correctly now. It is does work correctly then you can edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99mate-environment and comment out:

QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1

Thanks very much Martin. I will try that out now and report back

Hi Martin. Have reinstalled 15.04 and followed instructions.

Doing as instructed has stopped Rosegarden crashing, So that’s all good. However, there still appears to be outstanding issue:

I should explain my full setup first:

Typically, i will have qjackctl open and connected

I will have qsynth open

I will have vmpk virtual keyboard open

I will have rosegarden open

I will use qjackctl to connect rosegarden to qsynth (to provide the sound font for a particular midi file I wish to play)

I will also connect rosegarden to vmpk in order to provide a real time keyboard display of which note is being pressed as the tune is being played in rosegarden. There is no need to connect the output of vmpk to qsynth since the sound is being generated from rosegarden to qsynth

I could, if I wished, connect rosgarden to vmpk alone and then connect the output of vmpk to qsynth, thus generating the sound from vmpk instead of from rosegarden. Though, I tend to do it directly form rosegarden instead since this produces slightly less latency of the sound production

In 14.04, all of the above worked as described, In 15.04, although rosegarden is not now crashing, I cant get it to communicate with vmpk properly. To be specific, I can get vmpk to connect to qsynth. I can get rosegarden to connect to qsynth, But, I cannot get rosegarden to connect to vmpk and qsynth at the same time. Nor can I get rosegarden to conect in a daisy chain to vmpk and qsynth, as described above. Eg, Rosegarden>vmpk>qsynth or rosegarden>vmpk and rosegarden>qsynth.

something is not quite right.

However, I am going to keep plugging away on it tonight and will be able to be definitive about what, if any problems, remain by tomorrow

Update:

I have fiddled around for a bit and done a couple of cold reboots and have got it to work via the daisy chain method of Rosegarden>VMPK>Qsynth. It is still not working the other way for reasons unknown. But, I am happy enough with the method I have employed.

So, for me at least, this thread can be marked as solved.

Thanks again for the advice Martin

1 Like

Further update:

After running 15.04 with the revised set-up, as per instructions, for a day or so now, I am afraid I have to report it is not working properly. It’s very flaky in that it runs the music apps half the time as it should and half the time it does not and I cannot work with it like this. Nor do I have the time to spend several days/weeks fiddling about trying to get it working properly. So, consequently, I am compelled to return to 14.04 for the moment. This is not a major issue for me since 14.04 runs very well. But, I would think it may present a barrier to anyone wishing to make music who has not yet gone over to Ubuntu Mate and will naturally try the latest version out.

Having said I don’t have the time to fiddle about myself, if the devs make any changes in order to address this issue, then I am more than happy to test run it at any time and report back.

For clarity, the problem is that Qjackctl does not make the connections properly between applications even though it reports the apps as connected.

I have found a solution to my midi playing problem with rosegarden and qjackctl in Ubuntu Mate 15.04 (that is to say, with QT applications). I have instead used LMMS midi sequencer. It works really well with my midi keyboards and also with vmpk virtual keyboards. Thus, I am able to do everything I did with rosegarden without the need for qjackctl to rig them all together. LMMS does it all. I will post up an explanatory video shortly for anyone else who want to know how this kind of setup can be implemented.