RPi2 - Trouble with Ubuntu Mate 15.04 and Hifiberry Dac+

Hi there! I’m a bit new here, haven’t used linux in a while but a few years ago when the EEEPC 701 was released I was a regular user of the 8x Ubuntu releases. Didn’t know about Ubuntu MATE until I was researching Raspberry Pi distros but it definitely seems like the one I’d like to use!

I got a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Hifiberry DAC+ chip very recently and have been trying to make them work together in Ubuntu MATE 15.04, but seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall. The installation instructions for 3.18 kernel for Raspbian are to add dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus to /boot/config.txt, remove a few lines from the blacklist, remove a line from /etc/modules and create /etc/asound.conf. Added the line to config and created asound.conf, but the other two instructions didn’t seem to apply to MATE. Needless to say, this didn’t work.

I tried (loosely) following the instructions for the older kernels (3.12x), which involved adding a few lines to /etc/modules, but that didn’t seem to have much success either. Some modules have had their names changed in the newer releases (like bcm2708_dmaengine was renamed to snd_pcm_dmaengine) and the snd_soc_bcm2708 module was omitted. I can get Hifiberry DAC (although not the DAC+) to appear in ALSA if I pick the right combination of modules, but I can’t get any sound out. I’m not sure if this is significant.

Does anyone have any experience getting a Pi DAC card to work in Ubuntu? I considered asking in the Pi forums, but I figured this may be a distribution-specific question.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Hi there,

maybe this question is of not actual any more, but I have run this days into this problem (with Ubuntu Mate 15.10, but I am sure, it works with 15.04) too and now I like to post the solution I found on the internet (which works fine for me, btw):

remark: I had to put the “#” into “” to get them shown - without “” the comment is getting big and fat, but not marked as comment…

my config.txt (only the mods):
“###” changes for Ubuntu 15.10
“#”
“#” Enable the ARM’s spi interface
dtparam=spi=on

“#” DAC+ activate
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
dtdebug=1

“#” USB more power
max_usb_current=1

my blacklist-rpi2.conf:
“#” blacklist snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c
“#” blacklist snd_soc_pcm512x
blacklist snd_soc_tas5713
“#” blacklist snd_soc_wm8804
blacklist snd_bcm2835

remark: blacklisting the snd_bcm2835 shows only the HifiBerry Soundcard, if you want to have them both, delete blacklist snd_bcm2835 from the file :wink: Be warned: I have tested only HifiBerry.

create /etc/asound.conf with this code:
pcm.!default {
type hw card 0
}
ctl.!default {
type hw card 0
}

No more mods with the system.
aplay -L should show the HifiBerry-DAC+ as active sound device.

Thanks DocDotter - these instructions worked fine for me! Now just got to get mopidy working…

I hope someone is still watching this thread …
It seems that Mate 16.04 has been set up to accommodate HATs like the HiFiBerry Amp with the overlay hifiberry-amp-overlay.dtb available and with DocDotter’s post I thought it would be fairly easy even with my limited ability … but not so :slight_smile:

I have added to the config.txt:
dtparam=audio=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=spi=on
dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp
dtdebug=1

I checked and modified etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rpi2.conf to

blacklist snd_soc_tas5713
all others # blacklist as per DocDotter

when running: aplay -l to check if hifiberry has been found I do not see it listed!
This has stopped me doing the last steps suggested = creating etc/asound.conf

The hifiberry-amp+ works fine with PiMusicBox & Volumio so I know the hardware is good.

As MATE boots and writes beneath the Raspberry Pi logos I see that HiFiBerry appears, but the boot is too quick to read the lines & I don’t know how to pause the boot process.

… but I clearly need to do more and would appreciate help.

Cheers
Charles