Running bash scripts in terminal

I ran backups with rsync using a bash script in gnome metacity Ubuntu 14.04 without difficulty. When I try to do this in Mate desktop it just pulls up terminal without executing the script. I can enter the name of the bash script and run it but it is not automatic. What am I missing?

If you want to run your script "at startup automatically ", kindly refer to this thread.

Hope it'll work for you.

Apollonius, thank you for your response. My problem is not with a startup script but rather with a backup script. I added the gnome backup icon to a panel, then entered /home/rjs/db in the Command field, and chose Type: Application in Terminal. db is a backup script that I keep in, of course, /home/rjs. It looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

echo "Writing financials from RSMD ssd to TB1."

rsync -auv /home/rjs/MC7BUS/RSMDPC /media/rjs/TB1/home/rjs/MC7BUS

(and similar stuff, ending with)

echo "No error messages = good backup."
echo ""
read -p "Press ENTER."

This has worked well for me for over a year on the gnome metacity desktop in Ubuntu 14.04. Recently, I installed the Mate desktop in the same Ubuntu 14.04 installation. When I go through the same procedure outlined above, the backup script does not run; instead, I just get a terminal. In other words, the Command: line entry does not execute, in the Properties window that I get on right click of the backup icon in the panel, in Mate, though it does execute in gnome metacity. In Mate, I can type in the command db in the terminal window that appears after I click the icon, and then my backup does run. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, this behavior was reproducible several times in the last few days, but just now, I tried the Mate desktop again and the script runs fine! Go figure.