Rygel installed in update

Dear Friends,

Like everyone with an Ubuntu distro, I checked my two Mate installations for Rygel about two days ago. No signs of its presence.

Today, in inux XXXXX 5.3.0-19-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 18 09:04:39 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux, an upgrade from 19.04 to 19.10, not present, nor included in packages in "Software Updater".

However, on laptop B, inux YYYYYY 5.3.0-19-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 18 09:04:39 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux, clean install 19.10, while not installed two days ago, "to be installed" Rygel and what I presumed were Rygel deps.

Why was a new package for which I have no use installed, for apparently no reason? I have not changed repos from default install, nor have I any need for Rygel.

Obviously, my suspicion is that for the reasons making the rounds on the internet, a version was included to allow disabling Rygel is systemd for those not running gnome shell, but this is a guess.

Is there concrete information available?

Thank you for all your work and dedication.

Best,
M

Using aptitude, which is another interface to Apt, allows you to see which package would be responsible for this.

aptitude why rygel

In the case of a fresh 19.10 (minimal) install:

i   ubuntu-mate-desktop  Recommends indicator-sound                                                       
i A indicator-sound      Recommends unity-control-center | gnome-control-center | pavucontrol | mate-media
p   gnome-control-center Recommends rygel | rygel-tracker     

The legend is:

i - Installed
A - Automatically installed
p - Purged (not installed on the system)

So, the only possible way from a clean install is if gnome-control-center was installed (or a recent update now depends on this package), Using the command on your system will reveal what depends on the package.

Sometimes installing packages with "recommends" might install them as well.

1 Like

Dear L,

Thank you, that is exactly why this happened!

Aptitude is for some reason not installed by default, and checking reverse deps in synaptic is, whatever is checked in "view recommended as dependnencies" does not point back. I am not sure why aptitude did not install by default, by the way, but I am happy you caught this.

The benefit and two-edged sword of software updates is that they work so well, we stop paying attention as we did in the dependency hell days.

Best wishes,

M

You're welcome! :slight_smile: I should have mentioned that Aptitude isn't actually installed by default.