Samba on 16.10 Beta

Just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.10 in virtualbox applied all updates and have to say it looks like it’s going to be a great system.I opened Caja clicked on network and all the computers showed up.I installed samba and system-config-samba typed sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf then opened system-config-samba.I changed workgroup the the name of the group on my computers then added the user making sure it was the same name as the windows user.i then added the password for the user.Since it’s installed in virtualbox i added the whole home folder to be shared by all the other computers with read write access allowing the user.Then in a terminal i typed sudo systemctl start smbd nmbd and sudo systemctl enable smbd nmbd restarted the computer and sambas working great all the computers can see each other.I hope this will help anyone wanting to set up simple file sharing.

2 Likes

Just one correction there;

It is “system-config-samba”. Not “system-conf-samba”

1 Like

While I was reading this, I was expecting samba not seeing the other computers or maybe giving some errors and not working in the end. Great relief to see that everything works fine! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks I mispelled it hope i got it now.