Same home, different OS distros

Hello,

Can I use my home directory from Mint by just copying it over Raspberry Pi 3 U*buntu Mate?

Thannk you!

Welcome to the forum @jojopara.

That would not be the correct way to transfer your files. Doing so would also copy all the hidden configuration files in your Mint home directory to the home directory of Ubuntu-Mate on your Pi.

Best to just copy all your personal files (Documents, Pictures, Music, Video, ect.) from Mint to Ubuntu-Mate.

Thank you for the reply!

That is just what I want to do - copy the configuration files! Will they work on Ubuntu Mate?

The config files might work, if the underlying versions are not too different. If you are using a different DE in Mint, of course some specific config will have to be done, and some config files will be useless. Some will almost certainly work - media players, that sort of stuff. If you will be using the same browser, that will work.

When I do something like this, I generally copy over config files on an ‘as needed’ basis, just to keep things less cluttered.

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

I agree with @sgage. Well stated.

Thank you all for the replies!

Another take is to have a Data partition that auto mounts on start-up and have symbolic links on both distributions’ home folders. E.g. ~/.config/vlc//media/Data/vlc/

The only potential issue you’d have sharing files if you have a multi-user system (with different user IDs) where it may end up with permission problems.

The Aptik program (in the boutique I think) is designed to do this type of migration of home folder/files/configs.

Super easy to use.