Screen freezes on wake-up

When my laptop running Ubuntu MATE 15.10 is “suspended” for too long, even just 20 minutes, when it starts back up, the screen is frozen and I can’t do anything. Is this bug reported very often, and is it fixable? It’s an IBM ThinkPad T30 with 1GB of RAM and a 1.8GHz Mobile Pentium 4 processor.

When you say “screen freezes”, has the entire system halted or is it just X11 (the display server)?

You can check this by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 to open a console, then CTRL+ALT+F7 to return to X11 (graphical mode)

You wouldn’t be the first, the IBM Thinkpad has an awful lot of documentation noting these problems:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_ACPI_work
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_ACPI_suspend-to-ram
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume (T30 model isn’t listed here…)

In particular, problems waking up from sleep is usually caused by ACPI.

Yeah. This one guy told me that ThinkPads are notorious for their sound ports going wack-o, too.

Also, do I open the console when it resumes, or while the system is running?

Opening the console is just a way to login and type commands in a text mode environment. So, try pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 when it wakes up. If you don’t see a prompt, then we know the entire system had frozen, otherwise we can pinpoint to a display issue with X11. You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL at this point as well to cleanly reboot (providing the whole machine hasn’t frozen)

I suspended it for a while and opened the console, but I couldn’t figure out how to log in, so I just rebooted, and all of a sudden it works fine. But the console did open, so the system wasn’t freezing, right?

Ok, I found out why it works fine all of a sudden. I set it to shut off the screen when the lid is closed, but I’ll set it back to “suspend” to do that later.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the console, it’s just a test case to see whether the system is still working after it was suspended. Whether the display simply crashed/frozen/blank forever or if indeed, everything stops working.

Also, I believe for most laptops that if you try to close the lid while in console mode, the screen just goes off (it ignores Power Management settings).

If I have the display power setting set to Blank Screen when the lid is closed, does it consume more power than “suspend”?

It would, since your system is still running as normal, the screen is just turned off, which saves battery then the screen consistently on but not much than a system that enters a “low power” state.

Is there a way I can fix the “suspend” issue?

↑ This is the answer I'm trying to fetch out of you - I've just not been sure from your descriptions:

From the sound of things, we'll assume it's the display that causes the blank screen as opposed to the whole system locking up (it's not directly a kernel bug). X11 being the display server, there's some details here about blank screens but it's not very helpful.

Looking at your system's specs, it appears you have an ATI graphics chipset (AMD), have you checked for and tried the proprietary drivers? (System → Preferences → Hardware → Additional Drivers)

It doesn’t look like there are any proprietary drivers listed for the graphics card.

So, how can i fix this, if possible?

I have this problem on a Lenovo Flex laptop. It is at random that on wake my computer freezes. I can't type my password to unlock nor can I ctrl+alt+f1 to get to a terminal, and the only way to get the computer out of this frozen state is to hold the power button. This is happening on 22.04 LTS.

1 Like

Welcome @xandermp to the community!