Screen tearing + solution on older computer

Hello,

I’m sharing this as I did not find this in the forum when searching. Hopefully it might help someone else and it is my first post.

I was suffering with Screen Tearing on my Acer Aspire 5332 laptop with Intel graphics. Using Compton or Compiz did fix the screen tearing but the computer became slightly but noticeably less responsive - still usable but irritating.

On Lubuntu creating the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the “TearFree” option was doing the trick but this was not working with Marco although I was otherwise happy with the responsiveness using Marco.

I have solved the issue by using the above TearFree option and changing the window manager to Openbox. I installed openbox and dconf-editor, set Openbox to the window manager in /org/mate/desktop/session/required-components/windowmanager. I also had to add openbox to startup programs otherwise I had no window borders and no way of manipulating windows.

I had to try a few Openbox themes to get one that didn’t look too out of place, I settled on “Green Minimalism” which is just a very slightly different shade from the colour for selected items on Ubuntu Mate and looks good.

My computer is now running beautifully - fast and no screen tearing - and I’m really happy with this distribution. The Software Boutique and the default selection of software is excellent, and I feel right at home on the Mate desktop.

Thank you.

4 Likes