SD-less booting Pi3

I’ve followed some info on raspberrypi.org to get Pi3 set up for booting from other than SDcard, and have RaspBian on a USBstick from which I can boot directly.
I tried a couple of things to parallel this to get the ubuntu-mate 16.04 boot from USB stick but, so far, no success.
Has anyone tried this?

1 Like

You need to copy new version of start.elf and bootcode.bin form raspbian for exmaple in your mate boot partition.
It will work after :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for thar. I did copy bincode.bin, but not start.elf

Later: ok, it’s now booting, but doesn’t get all the way.
I have a log to check - may reveal the steps I forgot
Thanks again for the insight

1 Like

I can write a new tutorial about it if you want. I was waiting 16.10 to do it because it may include new boot files but I think there will not be a new release for now.
You can add swap partition too for better performance :wink:
I will try to do it this weekend.

That would be greatly appreciated
Derek

Hi. I’m having the same problem. I did copy bootcode.bin, start.elf and start_x.elf from Raspbian, but the Ubuntu 16.04 won’t boot. I’m using Raspberry pi3 Model B, and set program_usb_boot_mode=1. Raspbian boots ok. Can someone help me? Thanks!

@aworan, I’m trying to boot Ubuntu Mate from a USB stick, but no success. I’m using Raspberry pi 3 Model B with USB boot enabled. Can you help me, please? Thanks!

Is there any solution to this yet (SD-less booting Ubuntu 16.04.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3)?

1 Like