Select Audio devices by default and start?

Hi,

In KDE there’s an option to select a priority over the audio devices such as headsets, microphones, etc. on start or whenever they’re plugged in.

Is there any setting/trick to make this happen at Mate? Right now the behavior was that the built-in analog device is always picked up as default on boot.

Thanks.

I use “indicator-sound-switcher”. It sits on your panel and allows you to select from a drop down list.

I use this version and can confirm it works well;

https://launchpad.net/~yktooo/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+files/indicator-sound-switcher_1.2.2ubuntu0-gtk3ppa0-1_all.deb

If you download it, you can install with “Gdebi”.

Here is a video of it in action;

3 Likes

Hey Steve,

That’s pretty cool, thanks for sharing it. Do you know if this selection persist on boot or when the device is plugged in?

Thanks!

Yes, it persists until you change it again. Although, there is one qualification.

If, say, you chose “headphones” but then unplug the headphones at some point, it would then default to your system speakers. If you then re-plug in your headphones, you may need to choose it again from the list.

All other permanently connected audio output devices would remain selected until you changed the selection and that selection would persist across reboots. I dare say this would even be true of headphones if you left them permanently connected.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, well it would be perfect if you could auto select when plugin a device, but hey, at least it does the job of persistent on boot.

I like this, thanks again for the tip Steve, very helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I installed indicator-sound-switcher for that very reason. That is to say, I was always required to go into the ordinary sound settings to select an output device because it was not auto-selected. Installing indicator-sound-switcher does not get rid of the necessity to manually choose it. But, it makes it a hell of a lot quicker and easier.

2 Likes

Do you know why this incredibly useful tool is not in the default Ubuntu package list?
Also does the PPA covers Zetsy too? Yes it does.
Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Is it possible that mate-volume-control doesn't actually persist any settings? I know I can install other tools or tweak default config scripts myself, but it would be nice to know if that's expected operating procedure with MATE tools. Are there environments where it DOES persist settings?