Set SIS graphics @1024x768 (l)ubuntu (MATE) 14.04 and 16.04/16.10

PLEASE SEE THIS GUIDE WHICH I RECENTLY FOUND IF THE THINGS I WROTE BELOW ARE OF NO HELP TO YOU!:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sis

This guide was written before I discovered the above link!. :smiley:

Anyone with a SIS graphics card can get 1024x768 resolution without extra drivers, just follow the next few steps. :smiley:

Go to > Applications > Accessories > Pluma text editor (or whatever your default editor is on your version of Ubuntu!) and paste the following text in the new file:

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

Now click on "File > Save as" and give it the following name:

use-vesa.conf

Press Alt + F2 and enter:

gksudo caja

( gksudo nautilus in normal Ubuntu)

enter your password and find the file you just created (remember where you saved it?), right click and copy then follow this this path:

File System > usr > share > x11 > xorg.conf.d

Right click on the empty space inside the folder "xorg.conf.d" and paste the file!, close all windows and restart your PC, you should now have a res of 1024x768 without the need for other drivers.

Make sure your your "xorg.conf.d" file looks like the pic below before you restart! (Note the file "use-vesa.conf" is now bottom right of the folder!).

I tried this on Ubuntu Mate 14.04/16.04/16.10 and Lubuntu 15.10, Press any key at boot (Live CD or USB stick) then F6 and set boot option "nomodeset"; it works no problem although it might occasionally go into suspend mode during boot!.
(You may not require "nomodeset", check and see if everything is okay with the changes first!).

Original info from here (thanks Greg!):

Here is a screenshot of Ubuntu Mate 15.10:

2 Likes

Tested in Xubuntu 16.04 64bits.
Is super slow but at least works.
The weird thing is that the LiveCD version start in 1024x768 without this slowlyness. Maybe the LiveCD uses a different kernel.

Hi @dzegarra,

I didn’t so much have a problem with speed but it suspending at boot time. Like you said, it works!. :smiley:

Really well done, easy to follow to tutorial @wolfman . There seems to be a lot of questions and confusion about SIS graphics, but this is the first real solution i have been able to find.

Could you clarify that last part a bit, what does “nomodeset” do? Lubuntu 14.04 runs perfectly at 1024x768 on my old laptop, yet 16.04 produces only screen flickering, even with “nomodeset”. Perhaps it is just that my laptop is not powerful enought to run 16.04. I have yet to try upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04, so i will have to test that tomorrow.

1 Like

Upgrade to 16.04 worked! TY for this tutorial @wolfman. I thought my laptop was done for, but with Lubuntu 16.04 working it might survive for quite some time.

1 Like

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

And congratulations on getting that laptop running :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Dr.Zaius,

glad it helped!.:smiley:

Fantastic bit of information, after a week of trawling the net looking for SIS Drivers This did the trick perfectly! Thank you wolfman!

One bit that had me stumped for a while though, being a linux newbie and forgetting it's all case sensitive... in the file path; File System > usr > share > x11 > xorg.conf.d the "x11" should be "X11"

Thanks
Mike

1 Like

You save my Life :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like