Set up network shares in 18.04 using Caja

I want to set up network shares within 18.04 preferably using Caja. I am not interested in WebDAV. Is gvfs-backends still required in 18.04. Any other recommendations before I start setting up? I would like to get it right the first time with 18.04. Reading other posts a lot as seemed to change since 16.04.

Why does Ubuntu and Samba have such a difficult relationship. I know some admins really hate network shares, but some users find them very useful in a home network. I have done many searches and for each search, I come with a different solution. For example, I see

sudo apt install samba -y

Other sites show

sudo apt install tasksel
sudo tasksel install samba-server

You would think it would be straight forward, even as simple as a Boutique install. Anyway, I would rather use a recommend Mate Community approach than trial and error approach.

I think I am ok with adding users once samba is properly installed and Caja recognizes it. I prefer to set my shared folders using Caja as I do in 16.04.

I am looking for the recommended approach. Thanks.

I don’t use samba so am no authority but check out this thread from the Ubuntu Forums - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2384959

I think that link is for the SMB client. I want to set up a server. “sudo apt install samba -y” installed the server,. However, Caja is not cooperating . In 16.04 using Caja you could simply right click a folder and set it to share. That useful capability seems not to exist in 18.04. I am now trying to determine the best way to manually set my shares. Like I said earlier, no two set of instructions seem to agree with each other.

Have you read this? - 18.04 Caja doesn't see local network

Yes that was not my issue. My issue was sharing a 18.04 folder.

I think I figured it out combining various instructions. I did the following:

1. Installed Samba “sudo apt install samba -y”
  2. Created Samba user “sudo smbpasswd -a username”, username must be a local user on PC as well.
  3. Edited “/etc/samba/smb.conf” file. Added following section to the end:
    [share_name]
    path = full folder_name
    valid users = username
    read only = no
    4)Restarted Samba “sudo systemctl restart smbd”
    This worked for me so far. It was much easier before when all you needed to do was right click on a folder within Caja.
1 Like

Hello, I think what you want is to install caja-share, have you seen it?

So I thought I figured out SAMBA and bookmarked this thread for when I install UM 20.4. Well, the instructions above did not work. I even copied my smb.conf from 18.04 to 20.04 with no success. What did work was doing all listed above and adding the following two lines to the smb.conf file below the WORKGROUP entry

client min protocol = NT1
    server min protocol = NT1

Samba seems to be a challenge with every distribution upgrade.