Slow shutdown on 17.10 minimal install

I installed 17.10 mate minimal using the mini.iso on my desktop and on a VMWare virtual machine on my laptop. The desktop install has a slow shutdown, some constant 1 minute slowdown whereas there is no delay in shutdown in the virtual machine.
Some people suggested disabling the cups-browsed.service which didn’t help. Also, I don’t want to change the default 90s halt in the /etc/system.d/system.conf coz these things are same on the virtual machine and yet it doesn’t have the issue. Some have suggested installing the 4.14.x kernel, but that too should not be an issue. Just reporting what I think is a bug and what IMO should not be the fix.
BTW upgrading kernel to 4.14.14 didn’t change anything.

Hi @ankurash, Here’s a very informative posting about the topic but the whole thread is good:

Unfortunately, I got a null pointer when I tried to find the holdup and the net was full of similar results. But my problem was always in a VM, just the opposite that you report. It wasn’t every time either, somewhat random. Does it ever shut down quickly?

By the way, is that accurate timing? If it’s 60 seconds, something is taking 60 seconds to shut down. If it’s 90 seconds then it’s being forced down and forced at 90 or forced at 15 seconds may be no different. I judged for myself since I always got exactly 90 seconds.

Also, I got absolutely no relief from ShutdownWatchdogSec. It seems to do nothing.

HTH

1 Like

It is 90s exact. So, I installed kernel 4.13.8 and also changed the 90s DefaultTimeoutStopSec to 10s in /etc/systemd/system.conf . Now it’s shutting down instantly, not taking even 10s .

Edit: Just noticed the DefaultTimeoutStopSec is commented out, so it’s not this that changed the shutdown time.
The only change now is the kernel version and the disabled cups-browsed.service

You’ll find explanation at the top of /etc/systemd/system.conf. Everything starts commented out and set to the default.

I’m looking at my VM of 17.10. I’m not sure how the mini.iso installs but the package linux-generic drives kernel updates (including headers) in the full install and it’s at 4.13.0.25 right now.

It sounds like you’re on top of it.