Software boutique - unlabled buttons with orca screenreader

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'm not sure if this is the right place but I wanted to bring it to attention.

Have been using Ubuntu-Mate for a while now. As well as the orca screenreader which one can find on various distros. Since Ubuntu-mate comes by default with Software Boutique, when tabbing around the user interface, with orca, all you hear spoken is "push button." with the exception of one that is labeled which is called "software centers." Even if you go into one, everything is still unlabeled in there as well.

As a blind user, I would like to be able to take full advantage of the Boutique software. I had to result to installing the software that comes with default Ubuntu through terminal. However, even as a new user to Linux, I believe that he or she regardless of ability and accessibility, shouldn't have to first resort to accessing the command line. I guess you could say I am one of those people. It's fun but not at the same time, if you know what I mean.

Would like to know if this could be accomplished ASAP. So that everyone regardless of disability can take full access of Software Boutique.

Ending with, It's a great distro! The layout is more a tune to how I use a computer than default Ubuntu. Nothing wrong with that either, it's just different. You know what they say, "different strokes for different folks."

Best regards

3 Likes

@MR-Keys, welcome to the community.

Thank you for bringing up this accessibility issue. I can confirm reported issue in Software Boutique (UM 20.04.02). Will bring this to the notice of our QA and dev team but cannot say how soon this can be addressed.

Edit: Raised bug report.

3 Likes

Hello saivinod

Thank you for welcoming me to the Ubuntu-Mate forums.

Also, for bringing this accessibility bug to the attention of the mate community. You filed the report, in great detail and that is much appreciated!

Regards

1 Like