(SOLVED) How do I setup WIFI

Have an old laptop and I am trying to setup wifi.

does it have an an in-built wifi adapter?

It has a Broadcom mini card and I installed driver for it. I had it working on a different distro with that driver but new to MATE and can’t seem to figure it out.

Hi, do you have the specific model number/name to hand. If you do, I’ll see what I can find out.

Part of this output of this command can also help us look up the exact adapter attached to the system.

lspci

(Or if it’s a USB adapter, lsusb instead)

1 Like

Problem Solved, First off let me say that being new to MATE doesn’t help matters any and also testing 16.04 helps in the confusion. I was working with 16.04 Alpha1 and could not get wireless networking on a 32 bit Dell Inspiron 1525. After a while I decided to try in a different distribution because I was sure I had had this working before.

I was correct and I was able to get it working in other distro.

I now decided to load 15.10 to see if it would w2ork there, no problem, so the issue turns out to be it doesn’t work in 16.04 which perhaps others new but I did not. The problem was after loading the correct driver I could not get the system to display the available networks for me to select from. All is good, except for 16.04, and wireless network is working fine on my Dell laptop.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Glad to hear you got it fixed Don. Also, good for the devs to get a heads-up about potential problems with this in the 16.04 alpha

1. Plug the USB end of the adapter into one of the open USB ports on your computer.

2. Insert the software disc that came with the adapter into the disc drive on your desktop.

3. Click the “Next” option in the install wizard that appears. Click “I Accept” in the user agreement page and click “Next” in the destination window. Click “Install” to install the software utilities for the adapter.

4. Restart your computer to save the changes to your settings.

5. Click the “Networking Utility” for the USB adapter on the Windows task bar. Click the name of your wireless network in the window and click “Connect.” Type the passphrase for your office’s network and click “Join” to add your desktop to the office’s network.
    View full detail in Dell Inspiron 1525 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-inspiron-1525-manual&po=344148&lang=English. Good Luck.

For Dell laptops, please see -