[SOLVED] Image tearing, Image error in VLC

Hello,
I have the following problem on Ubuntu Mate 15.04 in VLC when I play videos in VLC: Tthere is a stuttering and also image tearing when Firefox is in the background opened with song on You Tube why? But there is no stuttering or tearing when chrome is opened with the same YT video in the background. Why?
And there is also one problem which happen beside Ubuntu mate on Linux Mint 17.1, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The Problem is following: When I use Nvidia drivers everything fine with Nouveau. When I play the video there is no stuttering ,but when I move the mouse across the playing bar (just moving no clicking there happens image stuttering. Is that normal? Should I worry about that? This happens on Ubuntu 14 LTS, Ubuntu 15.04, Linux mint 17.1 and Ubuntu Mate. The CPU usage is max 15%
My pc specs are:
CPU: FX 8320
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X OPTIMA
MBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
RAM: TRANSCEND 2X4 GB 1600 MHZ (8GB)
HDD: WD BLUE 1TB SATA 3
GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB TF IV GAMING OC
PSU: FORTRON FSP RAIDER 550W 80+ SILVER
CASE: ZALMAN Z3 PLUS ATX USB 3.0

P.S
Firefox plugins photo
http://postimg.org/image/v98p0kjwr/
And I also get image erorrs(gren screen blink) When I go in fullscreen, right click… This only happens with Nvidia drivers

Look for Mate tweak. I am using a slight variant of Ubuntu Mate, so I cant be sure it is where I keep mine. But, I think you will find it under system/preferences.

Once opened, it looks like this:

Click on the "windows" tab on the left hand column. You will probably find that Marco is the selected compositor on the right hand side. Click it and select Compiz from the drop down list.

That's it. You can now close Mate Tweak. Then try your video applications and see if there is any difference.

2 Likes

I don’t know. How to check if compiz is enabled or disabled?

Cobblers!

I just deleted my original message by mistake and replaced it with what was supposed to be my reply to you here. Please look above to find out how to use Mate tweak

Will try. tnx for help. One more thing Is my opinion about hardware acceleration right or wrong?
I always thought/think that hardware acceleration is bad because if you for normal/smooth playback of video must in player turn on the hardware acceleration it means that your CPU is weak. So if I in Vlc or any any other player must use hardware acceleration(on Ubuntu VDPAU for Nvidia) that means to me tha my CPU is to weak.So is my opinion right or wrong? the same goes if I in any player must change some other setting for normal playback. Am I wrong? do i need change my opinion?

I can see the logic of your argument. With Marco, the compositing is hardware accelerated from the CPU. If your CPU is weak, then, this is presumably going to put more strain on it. However, Compiz uses the spare capacity of the GPU for it’s compositing. In which case, by using Compiz, you may see an improvement in your video playback with no ill effect on CPU performance.

Just Trust Stevecook, Compiz is very awesome feature!!

tnx everyone for help

Your solution worked for me, no more screen tearing when watching videos. Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like