[SOLVED] Install hangs *Ubuntu Mate 15.04 64bit EFI USB

*bump

any last ideas? Im pulling my hair out with this windows crap!

Thank ye!

i think I found the problem with regards to x453ma asus laptops not installing linux 64bit distros particularly with ubuntu. Yep. Iā€™ve been scouring the net looking for solution/s with this very same problem. Lucky for you Mate! This worked for me. And hopefully yours too. hereā€™s the linkā€¦ https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg03718.html - but to save you from trouble reading. All you have to do is go to advanced tab and change WIndows 8.x option to WIndows 7 save and restart & boot using your dvd/usb stick linux installer in uefi mode. Iā€™m leaning toward Xubuntu for now since based on my again net scouringā€¦ this is probably the best option for this particular laptop model. Goodluck mate on installing your chosen Linux Flavor. :wink:

1 Like

SUCCESS!
Thank you everyone, @hermit4117, you got it! Canā€™t say I understand what is going on, but who cares, it wokrs! I am writing this from a fresh install of MATE!

Iā€™m really glad you made it work my friendā€¦ CHEERS to that! :slight_smile:

Hi Lucino_Veo,

I too have the same problem. Only differenceā€¦my model no. is ASUS X553M and my current operating system is Windows 10. I tried the solution suggested by @hermit4117, but after doing that I m not able to see boot options from USB while trying to install Ubuntu 15.10. Only option I m seeing is boot from CD/DVD. Any idea about this problem?

Also I tried reverting the change, i.e., reverting the os selection to Windows 8.x, but thatā€™s not happening either. Windows doesnā€™t get loaded after reverting this change, saving and restarting.

Any help will be much appreciated :smiley:

Edit : Didnā€™t noticed you solved it. Nevermind. xD

@Lucino_Veo I have the same problem as you, although i have ASUS x550jx and windows 10. It uses UEFI and GPT, and I made uefi+gpt+64bit ubuntu mate 15.04 .iso usb with rufus. Like you, I have disabled fastboot and secureboot, and I even tested that my iso file has proper MD5 hash (it is not corrupted and it doesnt contain anything it shouldnt). I can boot to the menu where i can try ubuntu mate and everything. However it freezes exactly like yours. I tried to boot couple of times and subsequently came here to find any solutions. Its good that you have found a solution, it means i still have hope. I will test changing to nomodeset and noapic, and if it doesnt work i try the method of @hermit4117.

Thanks very much, I write this from ubuntu mate live environment, seems to work. I just got rid of the quiet splash thing and wrote nomodeset. It didnt look like a normal boot, all sorts of numbers and cryptic text thereā€¦ But it works. Ok, toucpad is too sensitive, it is little difficult to write this because my hands touch the touchpad and I keep moving the cursor everywhere. Internet works which is brilliant!!!