Some new gTLD Prices going up 3,000%

Just thought people should see this article. Some new gTLD prices are going up 3,000%.

http://domainincite.com/21603-schilling-big-price-increases-needed-to-keep-new-gtlds-alive

ICANN has no price caps on how much a new domain registry can raise prices. I assume this will be an issue raised at future meetings.

For now, they can raise domain prices as much as they want when they want. They can also do registry clawbacks and mark you domain as a premium after the fact.

I’ll stick to .com/.net/.org and ccTLDs.

Is @Wimpy aware of this issue with new gTLDs?

Would hate to see .community renewal go up 3,000%.

The price increases are for gTLDs operated by Uniregistry and seems to be only for 16 out of their total 27 gTLDs.

.community is a gTLD operated by Donuts Inc.

Right @samuvuo but as I pointed out ICANN has no price caps or protections for new domains in place. ANY new gTLD domain registry can raise prices when they want however much they want.

Do you really want to take that gamble?

If that were to happen to .community, I expect this forum could be moved to something like community.ubuntu-mate.org

I would be suprised to see Donuts introducing similar price hikes. They have raised prices 50% for “commercially interesting” gTLDs, but the prices have still been under $100. But you are quite right: there should be a price cap.

Domain registration for ubuntu-mate.community expires in Jan 2019. If the renewal price has gone up, I’m sure we can raise the money as a community. No need to ditch a well established domain name.

Good idea, would be better for SEO too.